Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6.1.20000-1, IOS 15.1(4)M1 and QSIG with a PBX

raziel78kain
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

we have a CUCM 8.6.1.20000-1, and a VG (a Cisco 2921 with IOS 15.1(4)M1); the router has some E1s connected to a PBX.

We would like to get QSIG between CUCM and PBX.

Which protocol can we use between CUCM and VG to get QSIG? MGCP, H.323, or SIP?

How do we have to configure the CUCM and the VG to get QSIG?

Do you have some configuration examples for the various protocols?

TIA and regards.

9 Replies 9

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Had some good results with QSIG on CUCM 6

Used MGCP

CUCM ---MGCP----- ROUTER------QSIG-----NORTEL/MERDIAN

IP addresses etc been changed to protect the innocent:-

!

!

!

service timestamps debug datetime localtime

service timestamps log datetime localtime

!

!

network-clock-participate wic 0

network-clock-select 1 E1 0/0/0

!

!

clock timezone GMT 0

!

clock summer-time GMT recurring last Sunday March 2:00 last Sunday October 2:00

clock calendar-validate

!

hostname QSIG1

!

!

!

no aaa new-model

ip subnet-zero

no ip source-route

no ip finger

no ip domain-lookup

ip cef

!

!

isdn switch-type primary-net5

!

voice-card 0

no dspfarm

!

voice rtp send-recv

!

!

controller E1 0/0/0

description *** QSIG LINK NORTEL/AVAYA MERIDIAN ***

pri-group timeslots 1-31 service mgcp

linecode hdb3

no framing CRC4

clock source line

!

!

interface G0/0

description *** IPT LAN ***

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

no ip redirects

no ip dir

!

!

interface Serial0/0/0:15

description *** QSIG LINK NORTEL/AVAYA MERIDIAN ***

no ip address

no logging event link-status

isdn switch-type primary-qsig

isdn protocol-emulate network

isdn overlap-receiving

isdn overlap-receiving T302 2000

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager

no cdp enable

!

ip routing

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.254 name DEFAULT_ROUTE

!

no ip http server

no ip http secure-server

!

voice-port 0/0/0:15

cptone GB

!

mgcp

mgcp validate domain-name

mgcp call-agent 192.168.2.23 service-type mgcp version 0.1

mgcp dtmf-relay voip codec all mode cisco

mgcp bind control source-interface g0/0

mgcp bind media source-interface g0/0

mgcp ip qos dscp ef media

mgcp ip qos dscp cs3 sig

!

!

ccm-manager mgcp

ccm-manager config server 192.168.2.22 192.168.202.23 192.168.4.22

ccm-manager redundant-host 192.168.2.22

ccm-manager switchback immediate

ccm-manager fallback-mgcp

!

!

HTH

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

Please, could you post the Router configuration on CUCM, too?

Regards.

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To add to Alex's post (+5 A.) you may want to take a look at the interoperability guides Cisco has developed to address interoperability between CUCM and other PBX systems. It is a very handy set of guides. Your exact PBX model/version may not be there but I have found that within specific PBX families, the Q.SIG considerations are nearly the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/solutions/ns340/ns414/ns728/networking_solutions_products_genericcontent0900aecd805b561d.html

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Dear William,

thanks for your answer.

In the webpage you have linked, I can't find a configuration example with this scenario:

CUCM-(QSIG/H.323)-VG/IOS-(QSIG/E1)-PBX

So, is it impossible to get QSIG with H.323 between CUCM and VG?

Moreover, is there any special precaution to get QSIG/SIP compared to a standard SIP trunk between CUCM and VG?

Regards.

What is your PBX?

H.323 does have Q.SIG capabilities but, to be honest, I have always used MGCP when Q.SIG was required. I woud look at MGCP for signaling between your VG and CUCM. If you require H.323 for other voice channels (other than the E1 that would be backhauled via MGCP), you can run both H.323 and MGCP simultaneously.

You can tunnel Q.SIG over a SIP channel. I haven't done it myself. So, I can't provide adequate guidance there.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Mr. Bell,

we have a NEC PBX, but we were interested to try the other possible protocols than MGCP.

Regards.

Hi Bill,

Just curious what your thoughts are on using MGCP over H323 when using QSIG.  I did some searching on this and couldn't really come up with anything other then MGCP simply working better when using QSIG and H323 causing some unpredictable behaviour.  There are some features I'd like to use from H323 and would like to use one gateway protocol as opposed to both H323 and MGCP.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris,

My understanding may be flawed and is based on my interpretation of various Cisco resources, including the following:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_6_1/ccmsys/a08procl.html#wp1139777

Basically, H.323 Annex M.1 is responsible for tunneling Q.SIG messages over H.323 channels. Annex M.1 supports features such as: Call Completion, Call Diversion, Call Transfer, Identification Services, Message Waiting Indication, and Path Replacement.

This sounds like what one would want from a QSIG connection. However, my understanding is that CUCM only supports Annex M.1 for trunks (ICTs) between CUCM clusters. It does not support Annex M.1 to other PBXs. Which means (to me, anyway) that you can get basic call information, but not the other services (MWI, path replacements, etc.) that one would need/want from a Q.SIG trunk between CUCM and a "foreign" PBX.

For optimal Q.SIG feature support, MGCP is required. At least, that is how I interpret the following (from the CUCM 8.6(1) system guide referenced above):

QSIG Interface to Cisco Unified Communications Manager

For Cisco Unified Communications Manager to support QSIG functionality,  ensure that QSIG backhauls directly to Cisco Unified Communications  Manager. Cisco Unified Communications Manager interconnects to a QSIG  network by using an MGCP gateway and T1 or E1 PRI connections to the  PISN. The MGCP gateway establishes the call connections. By using the  PRI backhaul mechanism, the gateway passes the QSIG messages to Cisco  Unified Communications Manager to enable setting up QSIG calls and  sending QSIG messages to control features.

When a PBX connects to a gateway that is using QSIG via H.323, calls  that occur between phones on the PBX and IP phones that are attached to  the Cisco Unified Communications Manager can have only basic PRI  functionality. The gateway that terminates the QSIG protocol provides  only the Calling Line Identification (CLID) and Direct Inward Dialed  (DID) number rather than Cisco Unified Communications Manager providing  the information.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill!!

Chris