cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 Overlapping DN Translation

ty.masse
Level 1
Level 1

What I have is multiple sites with the same number.  For ex. Lab at all the clinics are 1246 and let's say foot clinic at all locations are 1358. 

My problem is a user at site A calls a user at site B, say 1246 calls 1358 call manager won't know which 1358 to dial, since all the foot clinics are 1358.  I have each site in their own partition and CSS.  Here is what I'm thinking.

1. create a site code for each location 24-1246 and 48-1358  I want to keep it 4 digits on the phones.

2. User form site A 1246 calls site B 1358 in the format above.

3. Create a Translation Pattern that says if it sees 481358 as a destination, to place it in the partion for 48, and strip out the site code.

Will this work?  If I create a TP with 48xxxx pattern and select 48 for the partition, will it know to dial 1358 in that partition?

If another solution will work best, please let me know.  I'm really brainstorming here, in search of the best solution.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your solution sounds great with the site codes.  Your translation pattern setup looks good too, just make sure that the Calling Search Space (CSS) of the translation pattern for 48XXXX can only see the partition(s) of the site 48 numbers.

This will not scale well and you will soon run into other problems/limitations, for example by having different leading digit in variable length dial plan you will surely create overlaps. With variable length dial plan the on-net access code just like off-net access code should be consistent to limit overlaps. Also, this approach will cause CTI based applications if you have any (CCX, AC, etc) to not work properly as JTAPI is not partition aware.

Have you read the SRND dial plan design section?

Chris

Thanks for your replies. I have read the SRND, and I understand how numbers work in CUCM. However that's the design requirement that the same number be the same at all the sites. Now, the number of DNs are pretty static and won't grow. Also, we don't have applications using CTI ports. If we do, it's minimal. Another thing, those are private DN's only. No inbound from PSTN. Outbound only. Given all that what would be your approach. How would you do it?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

From your description of your requirements and needs it sounds like you’re on the right track. One note though, try to create site codes that have some real world relevance to your specific deployment. One approach might be to use country code plus a one digit site code if there is more than one site per country. For example you might use 460XXXX for a site in Sweden, or 440XXXX for a site in England.

If needed remember to also take care of calling ID, so that the call can be redialed from the missed/received calls directory on the called phone.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Response Signature