CUCM/CUC 9.1(2) NTP Sync'

Tim Walker
Level 1
Level 1

Dear forum users.

I have the following:-

CUCM:- 9.1.2.11900-12

CUC:- 9.1.2TT1.11900-2TT1

This is a new build, and I have configured SIP integration between the two systems. At the moment, I am experiencing very strange problems when trying to access CUC from an 8945 (SCCP, 9.1.4). Sometimes it will connect no problem, the next time it will give dead air, the next time it will give engaged tone.

Before I get too much into the functionality related problems,I suspect my issues are because of CUCM and CUC NTP sync problems. The production NTP server I am going to be using is not on-line yet becuase the site's WAN connection is not on-line. Therefore, a temporary NTP server has been setup on a 6500 to progress the UC build.

If I enter utils ntp status on either CUCM or CUC primary node, the output is below. It would seem they are successfully syncing at stratum 4 but the refid says local. If I look at another CUCM cluster for the same customer and this the same NTP serrver, the refid is 10.251.0.254?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I think I am barking up the right tree about the NTP. Does anyone have a sample 6500 NTP server config I could use a template?

admin:utils ntp status

ntpd (pid 699) is running...

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter

==============================================================================

*165.86.1.1      LOCAL(1)         3 u   12   64  377    0.560   -0.445   0.088

synchronised to NTP server (165.86.1.1) at stratum 4

time correct to within 11 ms

polling server every 64 s

Current time in UTC is : Mon Mar  3 23:30:36 UTC 2014

Current time in Australia/Brisbane is : Tue Mar  4 09:30:36 EST 2014

4 Replies 4

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tim,

You need to configure

ntp master 4(stratum number)

ntp server x.x.x.x version 4

clock timezone

you can run show ntp status on chassis to check synchronisation and stratum.

regds,

aman

Thanks Aman.

My colleague had adjusted the 6500 config' to match but I still have the same problem.

My question is more from a UC perspective, why is the refid coming up as local, that is what I want to understand. Other 8.6 and 9 systems do not have this, so I suspect that is my issue.

Hi Tim,

I do not think this is the issue since Local comes with CUCM version 8 and 9 as well under refID.

Local applies to the local hardware clock which is being provided by remote source mentioned under remote [leftmost column,165.86.1.1].

Also,* is appearing in front of 165.86.1.1 which means it is selected for syncronization and stratum is at 4.

regds,

aman

Thanks Aman.

Appreciate your assistance