cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Failover

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

I have the following topology.  The Avaya PBX is our primary route to the PSTN.

My primary route is a SIP trunk between the CUCM and the Avaya PBX.

I have an H.323 gateway configured between the CUCM and the Avaya PBX.

I also have an MGCP gateway configuration as a backup to the PSTN.

I would like to use the SIP trunk as the primary, the H.323 as the secondary, and the MGCP as the tertiary.

I went into route group configuration, but can't add the gateways as devices.

Is there a way to add these gateways as devices within the route group?

Thanks!

PRI Setup.png

Ven Taylor
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ven,

Sounds like you've configured route patterns to point directly to your devices/gateways.  This will prevent you from adding them to route groups.  You will need to point the route patterns to route lists (and the lists to the appropriate groups, or your local route group) in order to add them to route groups.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ven,

Sounds like you've configured route patterns to point directly to your devices/gateways.  This will prevent you from adding them to route groups.  You will need to point the route patterns to route lists (and the lists to the appropriate groups, or your local route group) in order to add them to route groups.

HTH,

Chris

That's it.  I just created a new Route list & Route group, then added the 911 route pattern.

Viola!!

Thanks!

Ven

Ven Taylor

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_5_1/ccmsys/a03rp.html#wp1045311

Route groups contain one or more devices, and route lists contain one or  more route groups. Cisco Unified Communications Manager may restrict  the gateways that you can include in the same route group and the route  groups that you can include in the same route list. For the purpose of  route group and route list restrictions, Cisco Unified Communications  Manager divides gateways into three types:

Type 1—MGCP QSIG gateways and QSIG-enabled intercluster trunks

Type 2—MGCP non-QSIG, Skinny, T1-CAS gateways; non-QSIG intercluster trunks

Type 3—H.225 and H.323 gateways, and all other trunk types

Route lists can contain a mixture of route group types, although you  cannot combine an H225 trunk with a Type 1 (QSIG) route group. Cisco  Unified Communications Manager does not allow you to add route groups  that contain gateways that use the H.323 or H.225 protocol (Type 3) and  route groups that contain MGCP gateways that use a QSIG protocol (Type  1) to the same route list. You can create route lists with any  combination of Type 1 route groups and Type 2 route groups as well as  with any combination of Type 2 route groups and Type 3 route groups

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

Edit:

I figured out that if I remove the gateways from their associated route patterns, I can add them as devices in the route group.  However, I need to route 911 & 411 out the MGCP gateway only.  Once I added the MGCP gateway in the route group, I lost the ability to add it to the route pattern for 911 & 411.

Help!

Is there a way to do this?

Ven Taylor

Hi Ven,

You'll need to create a route list and point it to the route group with the MGCP gateway, you can then point your route pattern to point to the route list.

HTH,

Chris

Correct you cannot mix types as my post above points out in our documentation, which likely is why you can no longer add other devices after your MGCP gateway.