cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM, IMP and CUC upgrade from version 9.1.1 (on VMWare) to version 10.5 (on VMWare)

adrianic2003
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have to perform a Refresh Upgrade to 10.5 for a client who has the following UC apps on a virtual environment:

CUCM version 9.1.1

IM and Presence version 9.1.1

CUC (Unity Connection)  version 9.1.1

A. I see on the CUC Upgrade document below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/upgrade/guide/10xcucrugx.pdf

P.39 --> Change Guest Operating System after CUC Upgrade to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit). But nothing about the Network Adapter.

B. I see on the CUCM 10.0 Upgrade Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100.pdf

Page. 44:

Step 3: Change the configuration of the VM as needed (Guest OS, ...) Step 4: Modify the Network Adapter to use VMXNET 3 Adapter type as steps before the CUCM upgrade.

My questions would be:

1. Do I need to change the Network Adapter for CUC as well? If yes, should this be done before upgrade or after?

2. What would be the implication of not changing the Network Adapter from "Flexible" to VMXNET3?

19 Replies 19

If you mean that by installing the COPs required for such upgrade, it will automagically change the OS version in the VM specs (or anything else like RAM or vDISK size), NO, it will NOT, the upgrade guide explains this is a manual change, the pre-upgrade tasks chapter explains this.

The code for RHEL will be upgraded by the upgrade procedure, but changes to the VM specs, have to be performed manually, if you haven't you need to review the upgrade guide and RNs.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you for explanation.

Hi jaime,

is it mandatory to change the the NIC to VMXNET3 before the upgarde,i thought of

changing the NIC after the upgarde ?

regards

balaji b

The upgrade documentation has the steps to change the VM specs in the pre-upgrade tasks.

That's the officially supported method, you can go ahead and try, it *should* work

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

BenBen
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrading Cisco Unity Connection Guide:

8 Follow the upgrade process on the Unity Connection cluster:

• (RU upgrades only)

( L2 upgrades only)

9 Confirm that publisher server has Primary status and subscriber server has Secondary status.

10 (Unity Connection 9.1(2) or earlier versions only): If you are upgrading from Unity Connection 9.1(2) or earlier versions to Unity Connection 11.x, update the following virtual machine settings on both publisher and subscriber server through VMware vSphere client: a Change the Guest Operating System version to match the requirements of the Unity Connection 11.x. b Modify the network adapter to use the VMXNET 3 Adapter type.

CUCM doc indicates adapter should be changed before the upgrading. Please ask cisco TAC to clarify.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: