Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Migration from 6.1(5) on MCS to 8.6(2a) UCS

kvsaheednetpro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How to migrate from 6.1(5) to 8.6(2a) by building a new cluster in UCS? New cluster uses a new set of IP addresses and the migration needs to do site by site with intercluster trunk between the old and new.

I found the following way and I stuck at lot of places in between. Please help

Option 1: (Bridge upgrade using seperate MCS server- since the current MCS server is not supported for 8.6(2a)

1) Build 6.1(5) in new MCS server

- Do we need to use the same admin, OSadmin, Security accounts/password as the old cluster?

2) Take DRS from the old and restore to the new one 6.x (PUB)

- Do I need to load all the licenses? before the restore or after? (S/w, Node, DLUs)

- What all settings I need to have in the new same as old inorder to restore the DRS successfully and login back.

3) Upgrade then to 8.6(2a)

- Do I need to order for a upgrade media from cisco or can I use the upgrade file from Cisco.com

- Do I need to rehost the lisence or can I use new lisences for 8.6? in UCS or MCS?

- Change the IP/Host Name address of the PUB and other server IPs in server tab

- Take DRS from after changing to the new IP settings

4) Build 8.6(2a) in UCS

- Restore the DRS from MCS-8.6 to UCS-8.6

- Can I Upload new S/w feature, DLU and node lisences

- Or Do I need to use the rehost lisence? If yes on what MAC I should order for rehost? MCS or UCS?

- Or do I need to reshot the lisences in the previous step and then take the DRS and restore with the s/w feature lisence fro 8.6(2a)

5) Buld the SUBs in UCS and restore the DRS

Option 2: Using BAT/CSV to import/export config from old to new

1) Build 8.6(2a) in UCS with new IP settings

2) Bulk inmport from 6.x and export to new 8.6 in ucs

- Is 6.1(5) date is compatible with 8.6(2a)? if not what would be the least compatible verison I can upgrade my old cluster to?

Regards

//Saheed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) The cluster security passphrase must match at a minimum. I suggest leaving the rest the same as well; you can change them after the restore through the CLI.

2a) You do not need to load the licenses as long as you're only using this to upgrade and do not expect services to start.

2b) At an absolute minimum the hostname and IP addressing information must match.

3a) You can use the upgrade from CCO; however, you must have placed a PUT order to get the feature license file to allow 8.x to run.

3b,4b-d) The existing licenses will have to be rehosted on whichever box/virtual machine you expect to start services on at the end of the day. The 8.x release uses a Licensing MAC which you can get ahead of time if you complete the Answer File Generator; or, after install using 'show status' from the CLI of the publisher.

Option2: This will not work without significant massaging in Excel. The BAT import/export CSVs are version-specific.

Typically the way a bridged upgrade is performed is:

1. Upgrade to 8.x on your MCS hardware. I say 8.x since many models only support as far as 8.5 for bridged upgrades.
  2. Take a DRS backup. Note that no services will start. All you can do is complete a DRS backup.
  3. (Optional) Revert MCS hardware to old version if you cannot tolerate the longer outage window. All you needed from the upgrade was to complete the DRS backup from a VMware-supported version.
  4. Build out same version on UCS one node at a time. Perform DRS restore per-node and verify database replication fully repairs itself before proceeding to the next node.
  5. Rehost licenses.
  6. If needed, upgrade UCS-based cluster again to 8.6 or newer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) The cluster security passphrase must match at a minimum. I suggest leaving the rest the same as well; you can change them after the restore through the CLI.

2a) You do not need to load the licenses as long as you're only using this to upgrade and do not expect services to start.

2b) At an absolute minimum the hostname and IP addressing information must match.

3a) You can use the upgrade from CCO; however, you must have placed a PUT order to get the feature license file to allow 8.x to run.

3b,4b-d) The existing licenses will have to be rehosted on whichever box/virtual machine you expect to start services on at the end of the day. The 8.x release uses a Licensing MAC which you can get ahead of time if you complete the Answer File Generator; or, after install using 'show status' from the CLI of the publisher.

Option2: This will not work without significant massaging in Excel. The BAT import/export CSVs are version-specific.

Typically the way a bridged upgrade is performed is:

1. Upgrade to 8.x on your MCS hardware. I say 8.x since many models only support as far as 8.5 for bridged upgrades.
  2. Take a DRS backup. Note that no services will start. All you can do is complete a DRS backup.
  3. (Optional) Revert MCS hardware to old version if you cannot tolerate the longer outage window. All you needed from the upgrade was to complete the DRS backup from a VMware-supported version.
  4. Build out same version on UCS one node at a time. Perform DRS restore per-node and verify database replication fully repairs itself before proceeding to the next node.
  5. Rehost licenses.
  6. If needed, upgrade UCS-based cluster again to 8.6 or newer.

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answers, it really helps. I like to bring out my situation little more.

The CUCM 8.6(2a) software lisence for 8.6 and the new node and user lisences are already ordered. The decision is not to touch the existing cluster and build the new cluster in UCS and export the database either by DRS or by BAT/CSV

As I understand from your answers - I think I can use a new/spare MCS server to build 6.1(5) > Put DRS of the existing cluster> Upgrade to 8.6(2a) directly on MCS (change IP settings) > take the DRS Backup > Build 8.6(2a) in UCS > Restore the DRS > and put the new s/w, node and user lisences > and migrate site by site.

Again questions:

1)No need for any lisence rehost as I didn't user the MCS for production - no services are activated

- Will the services required for DRS will work?

2) Is this model supported by cisco?

3) Do the IP changes has anyimpact on the produciton any caveats?

4) I have the Lisence MAC and the PAK for S/W feature lisence. I just need to register in cisco.com wiht PAK and Lisence MAC and get the actual S/W feature lisence. Is thathow it works? Do I need to do any thing with user lisences?

Can I build only the 8.6 PUB in UCS with DRS and build the SUBs fresh. If yes, what changes I should make during the above process?

Thanks in advance

Regards

//Saheed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: