Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM not reachable when NIC1 UCS down

Hi All,

I have a UCS C220 M3 installed with Esxi4.1, inside i had 1 instance of CUCM running. I just want to check for redundancy feature of UCS NIC, so i make a continuous ping to CIMC IP address and CUCM IP address. When i disconnect NIC 1 of UCS, the continuous ping to CIMC is okay but ping to the CUCM drop. I wonder what is gone wrong because the redundancy is crucial for the CUCM, there's no point if can access the CIMC but not the CUCM.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

You should click the 'Properties' link next to the existing vSwitch - what you want to do is add another NIC to that one, most likely vmnic1 (as that is showing as 1000 Full, i.e. connected - vmnic2-5 are all down, these are probably the NIC interfaces on the expansion PCI card).

So Properties../'Network Adapters' tab/Add.../vmNic1/Next/Finish should do the trick.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

By default the CIMC binds to the shared LAN-on-Motherboard ports in a fault tolerant way - i.e. to both.

The default VMware vSwitch binds to a single port. It sounds like you have not added the other physical port to the vSwitch.

Can you run vSphere client, connect to the host, and then go to the Configuration tab. Click on Networking, and post up a screen grab here?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron, Here's the screen capture you requested. I'm not really inclined with VM stuff, so appreciate if you can verify my question. Based on this screen shot, i should go to Add Networking and bind the vmnnic1 & 2 ?

1)

2)

Hi

You should click the 'Properties' link next to the existing vSwitch - what you want to do is add another NIC to that one, most likely vmnic1 (as that is showing as 1000 Full, i.e. connected - vmnic2-5 are all down, these are probably the NIC interfaces on the expansion PCI card).

So Properties../'Network Adapters' tab/Add.../vmNic1/Next/Finish should do the trick.

Aaron

This absolutely helpful for a Virtualization newbies like me. Thanks man