cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCMBE 7.1(5b) upgrade fails in VMware

telcorinc
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade a lab replica of my production CUCMBE server in VMware (ESXi 4.0 environment).  We're currently using 6.1(3) and we're trying to upgrade to 7.1 (5b).  When I perform the upgrade from 6.1(3) I get this error:

CCMInstall|(Capture) %Date% critical Cisco Unity Connection installation failed during audio mixer configuration.|<LVL::Debug>

CCMInstall|Internal Error, file:InstMain.c:1416, Function: handlePhase(), Failed to exec command: "/partB/usr/local/bin/base_scripts/env.sh nice -n 19 /usr/sbin/chroot /partB /usr/local/cm/script/7.1.5.31900-3/cuc_install.sh L2 PostInstall 7.1.5.31900-3 6.1.3.1000-16 /usr/local/cm/ /partB/usr/local/cm/ /common/log/install/capture.txt"

appmanager.sh|CCMInstall --upgrade ERROR|<LVL::Error>

upgrade_manager.sh|Applications upgrade failed|<LVL::Error>

I can load 7.1(5b) successfully from the original install discs, it is in the upgrade process that I get this failure.

Maybe the better question to allow me to proceed is how do I convert a backup from 6.1(3) so my 7.1(5b) system can restore from it?

Thanks,

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

I've actually seen this before.  We had an installation that was in the documented upgrade path, and it would NOT work.  We found that we could get the upgrade to go to 7.1(2), and then upgrade from there in a two step.

You should confirm that your version number is 6.1.3.1000-16   (the full 6.1(3) version number).  Earlier versions won't upgrade to 7.1(5) per the compatibility matrix.

Cliff

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Lakshmi Adapala
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1) What is the media you are using for 7.1(5b) upgrade , basically did you just download from cco (upgrade file) or using a bootable ISO for new install ?

2) It is not possible to convert a 6.1(3) backup file to 7.x as backup can be used for restoring on the same CUCM version.

Thanks,

Lakshmi

Thanks for the reply.

I have both of the discs, the one from CCO and the full install disc from PUT.

I am using the upgrade media for the upgrade of my 6.1(3) system to 7.1(5b), which is where I'm getting the failure shown in the screen capture.

For reference, the VM system is configured as follows:

2xCPU

250GB HDD

6GB RAM

Red Hat Linux 4 (32-bit)

I can load the 7.1(5) full install on my VMware environment so I know that the system will support it, it's just the upgrade that tanks.

Maybe I'll try doing an upgrade of the 6.1(3) system without restoring the data from my backup and see if that is the issue.  But if that works then the question still remains, how do I get my data from one version of CUCM to another?

Hi,

1) If you are upgrading from windows callmanager to Linux then you can migrate the data using DMA, but it is not possible to restore data on one version of callmanager via a backup file on a different version of callmanager for brand new installs. However, if you upgrade the database is copied from the active partition to the inactive partition.

2) So in this case, looks like first you need to install 6.1.3 cucm on your lab and then do a restore from your production 6.1.3.x and then upgrade your lab to 7.1.5 in order to have all the data.

3) So now for troubleshooting upgrade failure issue, could you please provide the complete install logs (file get install *) after the upgrade failed.

Thanks,

Lakshmi

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

I've actually seen this before.  We had an installation that was in the documented upgrade path, and it would NOT work.  We found that we could get the upgrade to go to 7.1(2), and then upgrade from there in a two step.

You should confirm that your version number is 6.1.3.1000-16   (the full 6.1(3) version number).  Earlier versions won't upgrade to 7.1(5) per the compatibility matrix.

Cliff

Cliff,

Thanks so much!  That did the trick!  Just like you said, I could not go directly from 6.1(3) to 7.1(5b) SU2.

This was the version I was running before the upgrade:

This is the version during the interim 7.1(2) (7.1.2.30000-1):

And now this is what is running on my system 7.1(5b)SU2 (7.1.5.31900-3):

I've been pounding my head on this one for about a month now.  Given the problems performing the upgrade in my lab I'll probably go through the interim version in my production environment even if it does take me a couple more hours to complete.

Thanks again!

Hello,

I'm curious if you had an issue with licensing when you did this upgrade in the lab and if so, how you got around it.  I attempted upgrading from a supported upgrade path of 6.1 to 7.1.  The upgrade was successful but CallManager service would not start due to license error.

Thank you,

Jason

That error means that you are missing the version 7 software feature license.  That is obtained via the product upgrade tool.

It's not going to work until you get that license and get it installed.

Cliff

Hello Cliff,

Thanks for the reply.  I knew it was the software license file causing the error but these are on VM and the demo license file don't like that.  I get an 'Error: Installation on invalid/obsolete hardware. License file upload not allowed'.  I was hoping there was a trick or simply something I was missing in getting this to work.

Thanks,

Jason

Oh....that one. That's not what you said before.

You can load these versions on VM, but you can't upgrade across major versions before doing a load on v8 while on VM.

That's just part of the prices for doing this on VMW.

Cliff

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY:

The information contained in this email transmission is confidential information which may contain information that is legally privileged and prohibited from disclosure under applicable law or by contractual agreement. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named above.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this email transmission is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone to arrange for the return of the original transmission to us.

I just read my first reply again and realized that I did not include that they were on VM, I apologize for the missing info.

When I did my upgrade I had a similar problem you did, in that my CallManager service would not start.  The upgrade completed successfully but no call functions would work.

I had already submitted a key request via PUT, so after receiving the file I requested a license rehost with the licensing team to change the MAC on the license file over to the one in VM, and also to tell them that the server will be running in VM (it's an additional note in the license file).  After doing that I was able to start my CallManager service in the lab and get my phones registered and call processing working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: