cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCMBE upgrade 6.1(5) to 8.6(1a) and USB storage

ray.maslanka
Level 5
Level 5

Customer is currently running CUCMBE ver. 6.1(5) and will be upgrading to 8.6(1a).  The compatibility guide indicates this is a supported direct upgrade and have acquired media and licensing via PUT.

The release notes for 8.6(1a) indicate an external USB storage device is required during this upgrade since the customer's hardware is a MCS7828H3-K9-BE:

For HP7825H3/HP7828H3 hardware:

This server model requires a USB storage device in order to proceed with the upgrade. Please insert a USB storage device with at least 16GBytes of capacity. Note that any existing data on the USB device will be deleted.

Note: For Unity Connection and Business Edition the USB storage device must be 128 GBytes.

Are there any other equirements re: the external device, it's size, parttioning, formatting, etc.?

Does it need to be a USB flash drive or will an external hard drive work?

Does it need to be 128GB exactly or will larger drives work?

Does it need to be partitioned and formatted in any particular way, or will the upgrade procedure do this for me?

Can anyone who has performed an upgrade like this using the external drive comment on the success, failure or "gotchas" associated with the external drive?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

i did an update from CUCM 8.0 to 8.6.1 last night and this should be the same procedure. So here the answers to your questions based on my experience....

Are there any other equirements re: the external device, it's size, parttioning, formatting, etc.?

NO

external hard drive works fine, i used a platinum 500Gb usb 3.0 hard drive.

no problem detected with larger drive as mentioned above...

Does it need to be partitioned and formatted in any particular way, or will the upgrade procedure do this for me?

the setup process mounts and formats the drive automatically, then it transfers install image and database tables to the drive, reboots the server and performs a fresh install of the whole system. During the install procedure the database tables are converted and populated to the new system...

Can  anyone who has performed an upgrade like this using the external drive  comment on the success, failure or "gotchas" associated with the  external drive?

I performed this update on two CUCM clusters each with a pub and a sub and we have had no problems... Before starting the upgrade process be sure that the ciscocm_refresh_upgrade software package is installed on the server. This package can be downloaded from CCO (CUCM --> CUCM 8.6 --> Utilities) . I guess the upgrade procedure is the same regardless of software version (CUCM or CUCMBE).

regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

i did an update from CUCM 8.0 to 8.6.1 last night and this should be the same procedure. So here the answers to your questions based on my experience....

NO

external hard drive works fine, i used a platinum 500Gb usb 3.0 hard drive.

no problem detected with larger drive as mentioned above...

the setup process mounts and formats the drive automatically, then it transfers install image and database tables to the drive, reboots the server and performs a fresh install of the whole system. During the install procedure the database tables are converted and populated to the new system...

Can  anyone who has performed an upgrade like this using the external drive  comment on the success, failure or "gotchas" associated with the  external drive?

I performed this update on two CUCM clusters each with a pub and a sub and we have had no problems... Before starting the upgrade process be sure that the ciscocm_refresh_upgrade software package is installed on the server. This package can be downloaded from CCO (CUCM --> CUCM 8.6 --> Utilities) . I guess the upgrade procedure is the same regardless of software version (CUCM or CUCMBE).

regards,

Martin

When following the same procedure to upgrade a cluster, do I need the external HD for both PUB and SUB? I have this question because the PUB and SUB servers are located in defferent cities ans I like to make sure the external HD is ready if it's required for SUB as well.

Thanks.

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: