cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCME 9 BACD and Codec issue

tonypearce1
Level 3
Level 3

I've been getting to grips with the BACD on BACD. I have a SIP trunk to an ITSP. I have specified to use the g.729 codec for various reasons. I find that BACD works, but I never hear any prompts - just silence. When I set the codec on the SIP trunk to g.711uLaw I can then hear the prompts fine.

Is it possible to configure transcoding from the BACD to g729? I thought this would just work, as I have specified some phones to use different codecs and they transcode without any special config.                    

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Tony,

Cisco IOS won't invoke transcoder for calls handled by applications including BACD. As you know default CME Tar file will include all audio files encoded with G711-ulaw. In your scenario, you call is G729 and you audio files are G711, keeping in mind that XCODER won't be invoked, you will hear silence due to codec mismatch.

To make this working:

1. You need to record new audio files with g729 codec (different ways can be used using UCCX, CUE, CUC)

2. Upload them to CME flash with the same name of original audio files. In this case the files can be used automatically without extra work (bit it might create confusion since orignal files names include g711ulaw while the codec used here is g729).

3. In case you want to use custom names, then you selected the difficult approach.

"If you find this post useful, please rate it"

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Tony.

I believe you may be better off recording your prompts in g729 from this link if you want to use g729 on your dial-peers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/custcosw/ps5693/ps1846/solution_overview_c22-524728_ps3651_Product_Solution_Overview.html

Note that if you configure BACD for g729 prompts, you will have to set ALL calls to BACD up as g729.  You can't mix and match g711 and g729.

Please rate useful posts

"For the love of God is broader than the measure of man's mind And the heart of the Eternal is most wonderfully kind"

Please rate all useful posts

Hi Tony,

Cisco IOS won't invoke transcoder for calls handled by applications including BACD. As you know default CME Tar file will include all audio files encoded with G711-ulaw. In your scenario, you call is G729 and you audio files are G711, keeping in mind that XCODER won't be invoked, you will hear silence due to codec mismatch.

To make this working:

1. You need to record new audio files with g729 codec (different ways can be used using UCCX, CUE, CUC)

2. Upload them to CME flash with the same name of original audio files. In this case the files can be used automatically without extra work (bit it might create confusion since orignal files names include g711ulaw while the codec used here is g729).

3. In case you want to use custom names, then you selected the difficult approach.

"If you find this post useful, please rate it"

Thank you Mohammed, that is two posts you have helped me with

Since this a setup in my home I probably won't go about recording new prompts but I have another question.

- If a call comes in on a POTS line and invokes BACD, I'm guessing this would work either way since CUCME would need to transcode into analogue?

Thanks,

Hi Mohammed,

thanks for the great info.

do you have an official link from cisco where I can find this info?

I haven't found it on their website.

Thanks.

Best regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: