Views
Helpful
Replies

Disconnecting CDROM from CUCM on vmware

Sinisa Hreljac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

after we upgraded CUCM from 10.5 to 12.5 we noticed that it is impossible to disconnect CDROM (attached datastore iso file on vmware) without service interruption. Every time when we disconnect iso file CUCM machine hangs and stop working with question:

"The guest operating system has locked the CD-ROM door and is probably using the CD-ROM, which can prevent the guest from recognizing media changes.
If possible, eject the CD-ROM from inside the guest before disconnecting.
Disconnect anyway and override the lock?"

This was not present in previous releases of CUCM.

I saw that related bug is CSCvs96722 with workaround: "This is an enhancement request to allow us to do this via guest OS access since its not in native cli" (So no workaround exists) and there is no plan to fix this:

Known Fixed Releases: No release planned to fix this bug

Moreover, bug is in status terminated !??

I cannot believe it that this is "enhancement request" for Cisco and not a serious bug. As this was not happened at any previous releases of CUCM this is obviously a bug.

Or am I missing something, how can I unmount iso file without disrupting telephony and contact center?

5 Replies 5

If you dont want to use CD, You can simply disconnect by unchecking Connect at power on option.

1.PNG

Response Signature

Hello, Sinisa

Have absolutely same problem with pre-installed CUCM12X in BE6000 bundle.

But in my case it was new installation.

We re-install CUCM and delete preinstalled vm's.

Maybe re-install + DRS if you don't find any other solution.

mag19
Level 1
Level 1

A little old but maybe someone else will find this useful: utils eject CD/DVD

No such command on CUCM 12.5.1.15900-66, but there's on CUCM 12.5.1.16900-48.

j.a.m.e.s
Level 3
Level 3

Had a lot of trouble ejecting the cdrom with ESXi7.x and Call Manager v14 SU3. 

In the end, I powered off the VM and ran these commands to resolve the problem:

$vm = Get-VM -Name <name-of-the-vm-to-amend>
New-AdvancedSetting -Entity $vm -Name cdrom.showIsoLockWarning -Value False -Confirm:$false -Force:$true
New-AdvancedSetting -Entity $vm -Name msg.autoanswer -Value TRUE -Confirm:$false -Force:$true

The error in VMWare when I attempted to remove the ISO was:

Connection control operation failed for disk ‘ide0:0’

As I understand it, VMWare is asking a question which needs answering, but it's not visible in the UI. It can be seen under /var/log/hostd.log and the above settings will answer this automatically. 

The guest operating system has locked the CD-ROM door and is probably using the CD-ROM, which can prevent the guest from recognizing media changes. If possible, eject the CD-ROM from inside the guest before disconnecting. Disconnect anyway and override the lock?

What a pain! One would hope Cisco's QA testing would pick these things up.