cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DSP's on PVDM3's, allocation questions

skiNEwhere
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out how many DSP's are on various PVDM 3's, but this is proving to be much harder than finding the info on PVDM 2's.

For example, the output of show inventory for PVDM2, pretty straight forward:

NAME: "PVDMII DSP SIMM with four DSPs on Slot 0 SubSlot 5", DESCR: "PVDMII DSP SIMM with four DSPs"

But the output on the PVDM3 is not as forthright:

NAME: "PVDM3 DSP DIMM with 64 Channels on Slot 0 SubSlot 3", DESCR: "PVDM3 DSP DIMM with 64 Channels"
NAME: "PVDM3 DSP DIMM with 256 Channels on Slot 0 SubSlot 4", DESCR: "PVDM3 DSP DIMM with 256 Channels"

All I am looking for is a document which contains the number of DSP's per PVDM3, or if there is a formula for the number of channels per DSP.

Are there any Cisco tools which work like the DSP calculator, but in reverse? I.E, I input the hardware I am using and the tool tells me how many medium complexity transcoding sessions or conference sessions it can support.

Lastly I'd like to know what flavor of G.729 CUCM uses, such as r8 or br8, so that I can allocate the gateway correctly for media resources.

5 Replies 5

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

16 channels would be equal to one dsp. While cucm can work on different flavors of g729 I believe g729r8 is the default one.

Manish

No, that's actually wrong, this changed a lot with PVDM3 and is no longer that simple, that only applies to PVDM2 where it as was straightforward as each 16 channels mean one DSP

DSP Resource Manager Enhancement and DSP Numbering

Each PVDM3 DSP card can hold up to two devices, and each device can hold up to three DSP cores. The host recognizes each DSP card as one individual DSP and each physical DSP as a device. This virtual DSP concept provides a maximum of six DSPs per PVDM3. For backward compatibility for 5510 DSPs, the existing numbering scheme is maintained (see Table 1), and for PVDM3 DSPs, a new numbering scheme is applied (see Table 2).

Page 3

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1900/software/configuration/guide/Software_Configuration/pvdm3_config.pdf

I don't think there is anything publicly available explaining how many DSPs a PVDM3 has, but for example, a PVDM3-16 has one, while a PVDM3-64 has three.

No, there are no reverse tools for the DSP calculator.

As they have a universal image to do, pretty much anything they can do, there is really no longer any reason to count DSPs, you only need to care about how many channels the DSP needs, based on the DSP calculator. It was very important with PVDM2 as the DSP could only load the FW to do one thing, that's not the case anymore.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hmm well this complicates things. I want to allocate 20%-25% of the resources for a HW conference bridge on multiple devices. Seems like the only way to figure this out now is by "show voice dsp group all" and calculating the number of credits. Seems like a huge PIA and waste of time unless there is any easier way anyone knows of.

Hi,

As Jaime mentioned, the only way is to use credits calculation to understand how many resource will be allocated where.

However, the command voice reservation won't help to reserve conference resources over other resources (transcoding, media termination ,etc). This will command will reserve audio resources over video resources for example when you want to use heterogeneous video conferencing.

Regarding you question about G729 codec. By default CUCM has Annex-B disabled in service parameters. Therefore, CUCM will treat G729r8 and G729br8 as G729r8. Also, it will treat G729ar8 and G729abr8 as G729ar8.  If you enable Annex-B in service parameters, CUCM will advertise G729r8 with Annex-B=yes and will accept codecs with AnnexB.