DTMF Sip trunk and UCCX

cuentaflia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I am having an issue with dtmf..

My scenario: 

Sip Trunk ---> GW ---> CUCM ---> UCCX

GW-->CUCM is a trunk sip

The provider told me that is sending rfc2833 and I can confirm it from the debug:

Invite

a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000
a=fmtp:101 0-16

So my dial peers:

dial-peer voice 998 voip
 session protocol sipv2
 incoming called-number 2222
 voice-class codec 1
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte

!

dial-peer voice 9002 voip
 description ###CUCM SUB TEST###
 destination-pattern 2222
 session protocol sipv2
 session target ipv4:CUCM IP
 voice-class codec 1
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte
!

I am not sure if UCCX support rf2833 or not.. so I configure also a transcoding on the mrgl of the device pool of the cti..I have also set on trunk the rfc2833, and also tried with mtp required..

I must accept rfc2833 becouse is a requirement of the provider. Is there any way to make it work with UCCX without using any resource??? I have also try to set only the cucm leg to sip kpml but didn´t work..

Thanks..

13 Replies 13

ansonantoo
Level 1
Level 1

a similar post https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11913131/oob-dtmf-methods-uccx says MTP may be the only option here..

Thanks for the response, I have already seen it but tried with MTP and still not work...

What I could see is ..

The GW and Sip trunk are with early offer..

On an incoming call the invite comes with SDP as:

m=audio 48542 RTP/AVP 18 8 0 101
a=rtpmap:18 G729/8000
a=rtpmap:8 PCMA/8000
a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
a=fmtp:101 0-15
a=fmtp:18 annexb=yes

The Gw send the invite to cucm.. then comes trying and ringing....

Finally the CUCM sends 200 ok with SDP

m=audio 25796 RTP/AVP 0 101
a=ptime:20
a=fmtp:101 0-15

Only acepting g711ulaw

This new 200 ok with SDP is send to the SIP TRUNK PROVIDER.. and the provider send and ACK and a RE_INVITE

Is this RE-INVITE the SDP does not have any DTMF:

t=0 0
m=audio 48542 RTP/AVP 0

Finally the GW send the invite to the CUCM with the SPD including DTMF:

a=fmtp:101 0-16
a=rtpmap:19 CN/8000
a=ptime:20

It´s ok that the provider send the re-invite without the DTMF ???

Although the GW add the DTMF when it send the invite to the CUCM cold be the problem that the provider did not send it on the RE-INVITE??

I would try to check on traces to see whats happening between CUCM and UCCX

Thanks in Advance 

I've been working on this issue as well, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to put it in a lab.  Take a look at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/dtmf-relay.html, the CUBE DTMF interworking should allow rtp-nte to SIP-NOTIFY interworking if you have the correct IOS version.

Michael I have already read that guide and try but with no sucess on the outgoing leg tried dtmf relay sip kpml rtp nte and still not working..

What I would like to know is its normal that re-invite without the dtmf... I have also call with the provider to make sure if they could add the dtmf on the re-invite..

Thanks 

The document indicates that rtp-nte -> sip-KPML interworking is not supported, but rtp-nte -> SIP-NOTIFY is.  The dial peer syntax would be 'dtmf-relay sip-notify'.

Have you tried sip-notify, or just sip-kpml?

Also, with sip-notify, the SIP trunk security profile should be set to support unsolicited notifications

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/154706

I have tried both, also configuring correctly the sip trunk as suggested on the documentation..

Thanks

I have this partially up in my lab.  Although I don't have UCCX fully up and running, I was able to get the SIP trunk configured with DTMF interworking with CUBE without using MTP or transcoders.

On my first attempt I was not seeing the SIP NOTIFY messages with the DTMF events, and on checking the CUCM SIP trunk configuration the DTMF Signaling Method was set to 'RFC2833'.  I changed this to 'No Preference' and then the SIP NOTIFY messages were transmitted.

My CUBE is a 2851 running 15.1(4)M10, and the dial-peer configuration is as follows:

! Inbound from PSTN

dial-peer voice 1000 voip
 description Incoming calls from SIP carrier
 session protocol sipv2
 session target ipv4:x.x.x.x
 incoming called-number ^<inbound patterns>$
 voice-class codec 1
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte

dial-peer voice 35219 voip
 description 32519 pilot UCCX
 destination-pattern 35219
 session protocol sipv2
 session target ipv4:192.168.50.80
 voice-class codec 2
 dtmf-relay sip-notify
 no vad

On CUCM, I do have Unsolicited Notify allowed in the SIP security profile, and DTMF Signaling is 'No Preference'

In addition to the debug ccsip messages output, I can verify the DTMF interworking on CUBE with 'show call active voice'.  On the PSTN leg I see 'tx_DtmfRelay=rtp-nte' and on the CUCM leg I see 'tx_DtmfRelay=sip-notify'

I did another test where I changed the CUCM SIP trunk DTMF Signaling back to 'RFC 2833" and when I run 'show call active voice' on the CUBE, the PSTN leg has 'tx_DtmfRelay=rtp-nte', and the CUCM leg has 'tx_DtmfRelay=inband-voice'.

I also tried this with the CUCM dial peer set with 'dtmf-relay sip-kpml', and while the 'show call active voice' command indicated 'tx_DtmfRelay=sip-kpml', no SIP messages were sent with the digits.  This behavior is consistent with the documentation, although I wonder if this is a defect as I would have expected it to fallback to inband-voice.

I'm going to get UCCX in my lab running next week and I'll let you know what the result.  I'm pretty confident this will work because CUCM is getting out-of-band DTMF via SIP-Notify.    I would suggest you try 'dtmf-relay sip-notify' and ensure your CUCM SIP trunk is configured with DTMF Signaling set for 'No Preference', and then review 'call active voice compact' to see if CUBE is handling DTMF the way you expect.

HI Michael, thanks for your reply.. I also had rfc2833 on the trunk and changed to no preference on Wednesday to try sip-notify..

Could you please share you cube config?? Would be great to see how are you configuring , and also voice service voip and the class codec you are using too.

I am working on a production environment so its hard to test and verify and need to do everything after hours  I have more than  100 active..

I also think it should works with dtmf-relay sip-notify...Today I will try again with the provider I am still suspecting  that the problem could be the re-invite without the dtmf.

Thanks

I can share a few sections of my CUBE config:

voice service voip
 no ip address trusted authenticate
 address-hiding
 allow-connections h323 to h323
 allow-connections h323 to sip
 allow-connections sip to h323
 allow-connections sip to sip
 supplementary-service h450.12
 no supplementary-service sip refer
 fax protocol t38 nse force version 0 ls-redundancy 1 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through g711ulaw
 modem relay nse codec g711ulaw gw-controlled
 sip
  rel1xx disable
  header-passing
  registrar server expires max 600 min 60
!
voice class codec 1
 codec preference 1 g711ulaw
 codec preference 2 g729r8
 codec preference 3 g729br8
!
voice class codec 2
 codec preference 1 g711ulaw

sip-ua  
 retry invite 1
 retry response 1
 retry bye 1
 retry cancel 1
 timers trying 300
 timers expires 60000
 timers buffer-invite 1100
 reason-header override
 refer-ood enable

Finally I get some conclusion, the provider confirm that in the invite they send rtmap 101 but on the re-invite they do not send any dtmf info (that's a config of the provider) so because the dtmf negotiation was not successful the default of inband is used.. According to documentation to make the relay to rtp-nte transcoding and mtp is required...

Thanks again for the help

kornev.yuriy
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue.

Your CUCM communicate with UCCX by CTI and CTI ports don't supprt in-band DTMF, but only out-of-band:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11949871/dtmf-not-working-uccx

Chakshu Piplani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

My dial-peer config going towards CUCM:

dial-peer voice 100 voip
 description for CCX
 destination-pattern ^6...
 session protocol sipv2
 session target ipv4:10.127.222.122
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte
 codec g711ulaw
 no vad

Make sure MTP required is checked on CUCM, if you want to save on resources use only software MTP in MRGL as I'm using the same.

Please share results.

Regards,

Chakshu Piplani

-Please rate helpful posts-

o-bellemere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have approximatively the same architecture.

SBC <-> Trunk SIP <-> CUCM <-> UCCX

Between SBC and CUCM we have a trunk SIP with RFC2833 configured (DTMF IN-BAND).

Uccx know only DTMF OUT-OF-BAND. Use MTP resouces are mandatory.

You can use MTP software configured on IOS gateway (Best practise) or used MTP software on a CUCM (warning with CPU and memory usage).

For my architecture, on the Trunk SIP, in the MRGL configuration, we have configured a resource MTP hosted on a gateway on datacenter.

These MTP resources translate DTMF IN-BAND to OUT-OF-BAND.

DTMF are correctly understand by the Uccx.

Regards