cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

duplicated 7962 setup at home & work

adam.cohen
Level 1
Level 1

I recently purchased a 7962G VOIP phone for my home office, which according to my IS department, will replicate exactly the 7962G setup I have on my desk at work. I was told by IS that the phone at home would be a clone of the one at work - when the phone at work rang, so would the phone at home, and my outgoing calls would both be logged in our internal VOIP system, and would be indistinguishable from calls I made from the phone at work.

The phone at home connects to our internal network via VPN, which IS set up for me by first having me connect the phone on our internal network in my office, registering it with our central VOIP system, and then having me bring it home and connect it to my home network. It works fine, with two exceptions:

1. Apparently, when I'm on the phone at home, people in my office can hear the call, as if I'm sitting at the phone in my office and using it on speakerphone. 

2. We have a "click to call" system set up with our Salesforce installation, and while it works perfectly in the office, I can't get it to work cleanly with the phone at home. I seem to be able to initiate a call, but it appears to be sent to the phone in my office, not the one on my desk at home. The light next to the line in use turns red on the home phone, and the screen indicates that there is a shared line in use. I have been able to join a call initiated this way from the phone at home, but it's not routed there by default, and I don't seem to have the ability to disconnect the call from home either. 

The IS tech who helped me set the system up tells me that both of these behaviors is normal, but I'm skeptical, particularly for the first issue. Surely there must be a way to prevent the phone in my office from broadcasting my conversation to those around me when I'm on the phone at home, right?

I'm fairly technically savvy, but not in this area, so I'm flying a little blind here, and don't have the expertise to dispute what the IS tech tells me, which is why I'm posting here. 

Thanks,

Adam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Adam -

You are correct that the SEP number is the MAC address of the telephone.  You can verify this by looking on the back of the phone or -- press the settings key and navigate to "Model Information."

You cannot change the feature I noted from the telephone as you have discovered.  This is an administrative change that will have to be completed by your Telecom Administrator. 

Regards,

Les

Please rate and mark if helpful

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Adarsh Chauhan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Adam,

It seems that you are using a vpn phone which has a shared line, shared between your work and home phone.

Shared line shows in remote use if the same line is being used on other phone.

However this is really weird that they are able to hear your conversation.unless and util someone is barging in to your call.

you should double check with the tech.

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Please rate and mark correct if helpful
Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

It's likely that your home office phone is not the selected device for click to call.  Have a look at this guide for more information.   Specifically the sections on selecting a different phone or switching to a different phone ...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupa/click_to_call/8-0/english/user/guide/C2C_user/c2c1.html

If you try to change the phone that you want to use when at home and you do not see it listed then get your telecom admin to verify that it is associated with your user ID in CUCM.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupa/click_to_call/8-0/english/user/guide/C2C_user/c2c1.html

For the shared line issue.  There is a bug on some firmware versions that causes conversation via the headset to also be played out the handset.  This is a function of the Handset/Headset Monitor option on 7962/7965 devices and can be disabled on the device page of the telephone.  It's a feature that can be used to train new staff like sales or contact centre personnel - the trainer would listen on the handset while the new staff member took the call via the headset.  We've had many complaints about this and generally disable that feature.  I'm not sure if that also is an issue with shared lines but it sounds exactly like the issue we had.  You can verify this by placing a call from the home office phone and getting someone in the office to see if your conversation is coming out of the speaker or the handset.  Disable the feature on that telephone and test again.

Regards,

Les

Thanks, Les. Two questions:

1. Re the Click-to-Call issue, I'm using the phone with a Mac, so the instructions on the document you referred me to don't align completely. However, When I open the C2C extension in Safari preferences, I can navigate to a page on my company's intranet that shows that the "default phone number" that will be called using the click to call service is 056-7243 - SEP3COE236D6401. 7243 is my direct extension, which shows up in the top right corner of the screen on both phones. Is the "SEP" number likely to be the MAC address of the phone at work?  If so, then I can ask IS to add the MAC address of the phone at home, and that may give me the option to manually select the correct phone depending upon location. Does that sound right?

2. Re the shared line issue,can you provide the specific function that I would disable through the device menu on the phone? When I navigate to that section, I see the following submenus:

Unified CM Configuration

HTTP Configuration

Locale Configuration

UI Configuration

Media Configuration

Ethernet Configuration

Security Configuration

QoS Configuration

Network Configuration

I don't see anything under any of these menus that is obviously the feature you referred to, and in fact don't appear to be able to modify anything through this set of options in any case. While I can select things, there doesn't appear to be any way for me to modify any settings here (at least on the phone I have at home; I can't check the phone at work until I'm back in the office tomorrow morning). 

Thanks!

Adam

Hi Adam -

You are correct that the SEP number is the MAC address of the telephone.  You can verify this by looking on the back of the phone or -- press the settings key and navigate to "Model Information."

You cannot change the feature I noted from the telephone as you have discovered.  This is an administrative change that will have to be completed by your Telecom Administrator. 

Regards,

Les

Les,

With your help, I've been able to have my IS guys add the new phone to my Click-2-Call profile, resulting in the ability to manually switch which of my two phones the service uses. They also intimated that the firmware bug that resulted in the monitor option playing calls from one phone through the other's speaker has been solved as well, using your suggestion. I'll have to test that one over the weekend when I'm at home and I can have a colleague in the office confirm that all is working correctly, but I believe that's been addressed as well.

A thousand thank you's!

Best regards,

Adam

mikeleebrla
Level 1
Level 1

On the first issue, i agree with Adarsh... that certainly isn't the normal behavior for a shared line and i've never heard of that happening before.  I would have your VOIP engineer delete your desk phone from CallManager and re-configure it from scratch and/or replace the desk phone physically.

On the second issue, assuming that your salesforce click to call software supports shared lines,it appears to be a simple mis-configuration of the TSP driver on your Home PC. It appears to be pointed to the MAC address of your work phone instead of the MAC address of your Home phone.