cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Edge router, IP2IP gateway router connection

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

We are getting ready to implement new voice connection and we will be implementing IP2IP gateways.

The connection will be DS3s to a 3845, then to another 3845 that will be an IP2IP gateway router.

What is the usual connection from Provider to the edge router,

Edge router to IP2IP Gateway router,

IP2IP GW to Call Manager?

The IP2IP gateway routers have two gigabit ethernet ports.

Would it be best practice to have one etherent interface on the IP2IP router on a seperate subnet and interface with the Edge router and have the other IP2IP ethernet interface on a different subnet as the Call Manager?

Or have the Edge router LAN interface and IP2IP router on the same subnet as Call Manager?

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

really doesn't make much of a difference. Two subnets allows easier setup of ACL if you need.

If you want the same 3845 to be adge router and IP2Ip (or CUBE like it's called now), it should be able to do that without issues.

Thanks for the reply.

We have ospf configured internally.

We have the Internet edge routers, PIX firewalls, Core 6509 switches all running ospf.

The consultants that designed and installed pretty much everything here, including the VoIP system, also configured ospf on the voice gateway routers.

The new routers (in HQ and DR) that will be replacing the existing voice gateway are in place, along with the IP2IP gateway routers.

At the moment, I have ospf configured on these routers as they had on the existing voice gateway.

My question is, do these routers really need to have ospf configured on them?

Does it matter really or are there huge pluses or minuses either way?

It seems that it I could put just a few static routes in the voice gateways, it would be less compolicated, with fewer potential routing issues.

What are your thoughts?