cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

emergency call caller ID and location address from VPN phones

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have a bunch of VPN phones that use the main business phone number as caller ID when dialing out to the PSTN.  The problem of course is that this phone number's physical address shows to 911 operators as being the corporate office.  What is the best way to have VPN phones show a different address or at least a different caller ID when dialing emergency?

Thanks,

Diego

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
9 Replies 9

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A few options:

1. Contact your telco to see if they support PSALI

2. Use a 3rd party service like bulk911.com

3. Train your users that remote phones are not to be used for emergency purposes and place a label on the phone stating this

Brandon

How about if I have the telco change the service address of a DID that can then be used with some calling party transformation that kicks in only when dialing 911?  It sounds kinda the same as PSALI but without having to support PSALI per se.  Does this make sense or am I over simplifying this?

Thanks,

Diego

You could make that request to your telco, However, they will normally only use the billing address on your account as the 911 address.

Brandon

OK, so I am a bit confused and maybe I don't understand how PSALI works.  It seems like in order to identify the remote VPN site I will have to use a DID so if I ask the provider to change the address of the DID they might not do it but if we do/run PSALI with them they will??

Thanks,

Diego

That is correct. Couple of reasons:

1. PSALI is a different service which allows more information to be sent to 911 operators in addition to the address - floor, suite, room number, etc.

2. PSALI is a service the telco charges for

Telcos vary in the services they offer. It's worth asking if they will update the database for a particular DID.

Brandon

One las thing.  Is there any setup that needs to be done on the CUCM?

No configuration needed on CUCM for either option. If the provider will update the database for a particular DN, there is no action required on your part. For PSALI, you would provide a database containing location information for each DN to the provider.

Brandon

Take a look at this link which has a section on the PSALI process.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab11/collab11/e911.html#45157

Brandon

Good info.  Thank you very much!