Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling SSh on the IP Phone

Sunish Nair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to do get ssh option on the Cisco Phones, please help me how i can do this..

Is it possible to do, if yes what is the user name and password i have to use.

Regards,

Sunish

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

And for which purpose you need SSH to the phone ?

We need to make one application as requested by the customer... is there any way ... if i contact Cisco ...

"One application" like what ?

anhidalg
Level 1
Level 1

There already exist a document on how to get into SSH on the 79XX range of IP Phones

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13692#comment-10602

Dead link

Old question, but I put an answer here as I had problems finding the answer to the same question.

First however, question yourself if you really want to enable SSH as it makes the phone vulnerable, e.g. to DOS attacks. Best security practice is to never enable any features that could be avoided. I used it for debugging my installation and have now turned off it again.

I enabled SSH by putting the following lines in the SEPmac.cnf.xml file on the TFTP server (where mac is the MAC address of the phone):

<!-- The two following lines should be in the device section -->

<sshUserId>My_UserID</sshUserId> <!-- Replace My_UserID with a suitable user ID -->

<sshPassword>My_Password</sshPassword> <!-- Replace My_Password with a suitable password -->

<sshAccess>0</sshAccess> <!-- Enable SSH = 0, this line should be in the vendorConfig section  -->