cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Excessive Rate of Device Interface Reconfigurations alarms + Cisco VG224 (soft ver 15.1(4)M8)

nitin.mamgain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Symptoms : This device has performed an interface reconfiguration every poll cycle for the past half hour.
        Probable Cause : 1) Either ifNumber, ifTableLastChange, ifStackLastChange has updated to a new value every poll cycle causing the device to reconfigure.
                         2) The device model's interfaces have been manually reconfigured by a user.
                         3) The device model has lost and regained contact due to a intermittent connection or flapping interface.

Getting this alarm over analog gateway from CA spectrum however there has been no changes on the gateway as far as configuration is concerned, Need to know the real cause of generation of this alarm

I found a link online however doesn't seems to be helpful enough to understand

https://www.mail-archive.com/spectrum@listserv.unc.edu/msg02539.html.

Regards,

Nitin

3 Replies 3

Don2001L
Level 1
Level 1

For most device models, every poll cycle, Spectrum reads the following three attributes:

ifNumber

ifTableLastChange

ifStatusLastChange

If Spectrum detects the value of any one of the above attributes has changed since the last poll and the If_IsAutoCnfgActive attribute 0x11dd4 in Spectrum is enabled, it will automatically reconfigure the model to determine the change and update the model with the change. This can be very expensive in terms of CPU as Spectrum may have to read a lot of information from the  ifMIBs.

Spectrum will also log the 0x1001d event  which will specify the trigger that caused the model reconfiguration.

Don

{d "%w- %d %m-, %Y - %T"} - Device {m} of type {t} has completed an interface reconfiguration. (event [{e}])

Interface Reconfiguration Trigger: {T InterfaceReconfigurationTriggers 1}

Interface Reconfiguration Status: {T CsInterfaceReconfigurationErrors 2}

The following are the possible triggers:

Initial-Reconfiguration - From initial model creation

Forced-Manual-Reconfiguration - Manual reconfiguration

Interface-Stack-Change-Reconfiguration - A change in ifStackLastChange

Interface-Table-Change-Reconfiguration - A change in ifTableLastChange

Interface-Count-Change-Reconfiguration - A change in ifNumber

Humanoid

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Spectrum is complex and obnoxious to use , I have this issue myself and tend to just leave this alarm on the console as I don’t administer it. The channels or interfaces on the gateway are changing state up/down and it’s noting that this keeps happening. 

I believe you can configure Spectrum not to alarm for that event ID for those models , but as to how you do so I’m not sure. It is safe to ignore to the best of my knowledge. 

Networks are complex and obnoxious to administer...
We need more of the Big RED easy buttons.

Humanoid