cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extracting call info from Cisco 7942

K Shi
Level 1
Level 1

I make several calls each day, and I log each interaction in an excel contact list.  I'd like to extract the number, and caller ID from my calls to my computer so that I can automatically update my contact list.  Is there any way to extract that information?

5 Replies 5

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jabber can do that, by just going to your recents list and right click and add to contacts or custom contacts.

But not from the call history on a 7942 phone, or any other phone that I know.

Please rate if useful

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thanks for the response, but I'm stuck with the 7942.  

This might be better posted on a new thread, but is there any way to even detect that a call is being made?  I have my laptop daisychained off my 7942's  10/100PC port. 

I suggest you to ask your IP Telephony administrator to send you CDR records for calls from/to your internal extension. You will get the list of all calls you make and receive from your IP Phone.

Drawback is that you cannot ask him for this everyday. It will be hussle for him. Even more hussle if more that a user needs that list.

A 3rd party billing solution giving end users reports of their calls will be needed otherwise.

If you are an end user for the Cisco IP Telephony, kindly keep in mind that this forum is intended for IT people administering and/or deploying the Cisco UC solutions and not for end users. You can't badly rate people trying to help you when you don't even have an idea about what features are supported in the platform.

Mohamed, thanks for the detailed reply and my apologies.  Had I known this forum was only intended for IT people, I would never have made an account.  Could you please direct me to the forum for Cisco end users?  

I also apologize to Dennis.  Based on his desire to help me and his response's promptness, I would like to upgrade his rating from 3 to 5 stars.  

Unfortunately, I still do not have an answer to my question.  It seems there is no feature to detect that a call is being made.  Are there any hackish solutions?

Hello Shi,

There's no problem at all, sorry for the inconvenience.

In fact, there's no such forum for End Users under the Cisco website, but there are End User guides about how to use IP phone features, how to access the Self-Care Portal etc. for non-technical users that you can ask for the IT administrator of your company. 

But I can say here that your usage level of the UC platform is pretty good that those guides doesn't give you added value, you're already good as a user!

To return to the topic, it's up to the IP Telephony administrator of your company to deploy new features. The feature you request is possible whether with the assistance of the IT administrator, through the "CDRs" that I stated above, or without his assistance when your company deploys a billing solution and gives you an interface to collect the call history you need.