cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Upgrading Cisco 7971G-GE Phones Firmware

mfehrmann
Level 1
Level 1

I have a bunch of phones that are failing to grab the newest firmware from CCM.  The troubled phones are using Firmware Version SCCP70.8-2-2SR1S.   

My server is set to deliver SCCP70.9-4-2-1S which fails when the phones are starting up.  This causes a delay, and network downtime for the user.

The message I'm getting is Auth Fail.

I had this issue with some 7941's some time back as well, so updated them manually using a TFTP Server in my office. For some reason I cannot get these 7971G-GE phones to take a version of firmware from TFTP Server.  

Can anyone help me get these phones stepped up so they can take the upgrade from my server? 

Thanks! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Adarsh Chauhan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Please be aware of the following:

For all SCCP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to Version 9.3(1) or later, you must first upgrade your phone firmware to an intermediate version (8.3(3) to 8.5(2)) and then upgrade to 9.3(1).

Please rate and mark if helpful

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Please rate and mark correct if helpful
Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Adarsh Chauhan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Please be aware of the following:

For all SCCP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to Version 9.3(1) or later, you must first upgrade your phone firmware to an intermediate version (8.3(3) to 8.5(2)) and then upgrade to 9.3(1).

Please rate and mark if helpful

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Please rate and mark correct if helpful
Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

OK - What is the easiest method in doing that?  I'm trying to update a phone manually using TFTP server and it just won't grab any version of the FW. I even downloaded 8.3.3 after I saw your comment? 

Can you please let us know what you have done so far?

Have you downloaded 8.3.3 on your tftp servers?

Which type servers are you using? CUCM TFTP? or an external TFTP?

NB: if you are using an external tftp server you have to tell the phones to use it using the load server ( enter the ip address of the tftp here under the device configuration page)

You can refer to the link below for more detailed instruction on how to upgrade phone firmware

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/9873946/upgrade-downgrade-firmware-specific-ip-phone

Please rate all useful posts

I ended up downloading the firmware files mentioned above and dropping them right in my CUCM TFTP server.  Then went to each phone and manually stepped them up the firmware paths.  

I was trying to do it via an external TFTP server on an isolated network but it just wasn't pulling the firmware.