Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with Cisco 7961G IP Phone

awright
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a couple of Cisco 7961G phones that when power is applied, all the lights light up but nothing else happens.  I'm talking about the lights above the switchhook, all the line buttons and the 3 including the speaker button. I have tried to power up holding the # key to try to re-flash the firmware but that does nothing.  Can't get to the point to enter the code to erase the flash and reset to factory defaults.  Any idea how to get these phones working agian?

2 Replies 2

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First things first, whenever you attempt to factory reset a phone, you have to do it on a network which has DHCP and the TFTP Option 150 supplied, and a valid/working TFTP server to respond to the phone.  Otherwise, you'll brick the phone.  You didn't mention if you had all of that in place.

If you, or someone else, accidentally bricked the phone, there is one more key sequence you can try, but it too requires the DHCP/TFTP/etc. to work.

It is documented on the below blog, and believe the guy: when he says it will take a long time and the screen shows you nothing, he's not kidding.  Don't unplug it.  Just leave it alone.

http://www.the-lan-man.net/wordpress/2012/cisco-ip-phone-7900-reset-sequences/

Secondly, good luck!  It might be that this phone is toast, and you'll need to replace it.  Hopefully you have a maintenance contract; not that I know if 7961's are even maintained anymore.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

testeven
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When you connect the phone and all the lights come on and stay, sounds like the phone is dead, probably you'll need to open a TAC SR to get an RMA.

To open a request with TAC please visit:

http://tools.cisco.com/ServiceRequestTool/create/

Regards, 

Tere. 

If you find this post helpful, please rate!

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)