cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with POTS line issue

neteng2323
Level 1
Level 1

Our company recently upgraded to a new CUCM version, server etc. In the process a lot of cludge (old route patterns, translation patterns etc) was discarded to clean it up, as well as converting to a  6 digit dial plan vs 4.Our campus is the Corp HQ so we have the Pub here.  We have subs dispersed throughout (some here, in TX, and OR).I'm trying to solve a problem and in the process educate myself on how it all works.

We have one site that still has a POT's (fax) line connected to a voice port on a router there.  It's no longer working.  Calling it from cell phone or within company get's "service not available" or "no longer in service" message.  Below is the dial-peer config...

dial-peer voice 4561 pots
description FAX MACHINE 4561
destination-pattern 4561
port 2/0/0
!
dial-peer voice 1 voip
incoming called-number .
codec g711ulaw
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 9001 voip
destination-pattern 9T
session target ipv4:IP OF HQ SUB1
codec g711ulaw
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 9002 voip
preference 1
destination-pattern 9T
session target ipv4:IP OF HQ SUB2
codec g711ulaw
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 9003 voip
preference 2
destination-pattern 9T
session target ipv4:IP OF TX SUB
codec g711ulaw
no vad

The old CUCM had a route pattern for 4561 but the new CUCM has no route pattern.  That's the background, I list my questions..

1. Need to add route pattern in new CUCM for new Extension which is XX4561?

2. Need to change destination-pattern on FAX dial-peer to XX4561?

3. Is the dial-peer voice 9001 pointing to IP of HQ SUB1 the outbound-dialpeer if people are faxing out? Because I don't see anything pointing to a POTs port for outbound.

4.  What happens when someone outside the company faxes to this number, and vice-versa?  How is it being routed through the PSTN?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

1. Need to add route pattern in new CUCM for new Extension which is XX4561?
   Yes, and Point it towards the correct Router

2. Need to change destination-pattern on FAX dial-peer to XX4561?
   Yes, when the call gets forwarded from the CCM to Router, it should hit this dial-peer.

3. Is the dial-peer voice 9001 pointing to IP of HQ SUB1 the outbound-dialpeer if people are faxing out? Because I don't see anything pointing to a POTs port for outbound.

The Dial-peer 9001 is taking in calls (9T) from Sub and processing it (i.e. depending on the Called Number).

4.  What happens when someone outside the company faxes to this number, and vice-versa?  How is it being routed through the PSTN?
Presuming you have SIP Trunks terminating at the Router, Dial-Peer 1 is accepting all the incoming calls from PSTN, and then the Voice Router tries to send the call via Dial-Peers 9001 - 9003 (based on the config you have posted here).

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Andrew West
Level 4
Level 4

Do you have a basic analog set or a BUTT set you can plug in to the POTS line prior to it getting to your gateway that way you can make sure you are getting correctly from the telco? 

Is the port in the router an FXO? 

Yes it's an FXO port on a router. I know it's not the quality of the line because it stopped working right after the voice cutover. It's a combination of missing route pattern in Cucm and maybe misconfigured destination pattern on the router. I'm just not sure what else is at play. 

Have you used DNA to see how things are truly being routed? 

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

1. Need to add route pattern in new CUCM for new Extension which is XX4561?
   Yes, and Point it towards the correct Router

2. Need to change destination-pattern on FAX dial-peer to XX4561?
   Yes, when the call gets forwarded from the CCM to Router, it should hit this dial-peer.

The Dial-peer 9001 is taking in calls (9T) from Sub and processing it (i.e. depending on the Called Number).

Presuming you have SIP Trunks terminating at the Router, Dial-Peer 1 is accepting all the incoming calls from PSTN, and then the Voice Router tries to send the call via Dial-Peers 9001 - 9003 (based on the config you have posted here).

HTH

Thanks WIlson,

With your reply I was able to get this working.