Views
Helpful
Replies

Hold Music Not Working For Outbound Calls

LeoSi
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I have a CUCM 12.5 install that is running on evaluation. 

Whenever I place a call from one internal phone to a different one, hold music works just fine with my announcements and everything. But as soon as I place a call from the PSTN it just goes dead silent. No audio whatsoever. 

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but if you guys have any idea on whats happening please let me know.
Thanks, Leo. 

11 Replies 11

What type of PSTN connection do you have? With the limited information given it’s not really possible to give you any real valuable advice.

Response Signature

Hey Roger,

I have an asterisk server with a SIP trunk to UCM. Sip provider is SipGate. If I place a call on hold using asterisk, it will play asterisk's hold. 

Thanks, Leo.

So if I understand correctly you have a SIP trunk from an ITSP that terminates on an Asterix server and then you have a SIP trunk between the Asterix server and CM. Is that correct?

Response Signature

That would be correct.

Does music on hold work between calls that are placed from an endpoint in CM to an endpoint in Asterix?

Response Signature

They do not, it just echoes sound. Hold only works between internal extensions.

As that isn’t working you should focus on solving that first before turning your eyes on a more complex scenario with PSTN.

Response Signature

One thing to keep in mind, too, is that the MRGL (and the MoH resource in it) might be different for a phone and for a SIP Trunk in CUCM as that parameter is set on each object individually. It is either set manually or via the Device Pool. Are the same MoH resources available? What about codec via the Region settings on the phones and the trunk?

And, to @Roger Kallberg's point: Test MoH between an Asterisk and CUCM phone in both directions. It may be that MoH works fine one direction but not the other.

One last thing: In CUCM, the device pressing the hold button determines which MoH stream is selected. It is the MoH resource available to the device that is placed on hold that determines which MoH server is used to stream the audio. This can have an impact if you have more than one MoH server in your cluster. It can also have an impact on how MoH is allocated on the inter-system calls.

Maren

Ill check all the parameters and verify that it works between asterisk and CUCM, i have a feeling it will be one way asterisk → CUCM and not CUCM → asterisk

Okay, i have tested between devices and asterisk → CUCM works (asterisk hold music) but CUCM → asterisk just echoes sound when placed on hold. I have check the MRGL and the objects and they are all set to an available MoH server, I only have one. At this point I dont know what it could be, maybe its asterisk interfering but who knows. 

You would see what’s going on if you were to look at the output from debug ccsip message in your SBC and the CM traces from CUCM.

Response Signature