cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does a 7925g phone obtain and keep a license

tfetzer
Level 1
Level 1

We have cucm ver. 6.1.4.1190-3 and 7925g phones.  How does the phone obtain and keep a license?  Does each phone "release" the license once it is turned off for a certain time period or does it "save" the license with the phone?  Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

Your licesnes are not on the phones.

User licenses are on the Call Manager server and do not directly map to individual phones.

If you have, say, 50 licenses, and 60 phones, then only the first 50 phones will register with Call Manager.

The last 10 will get a registration failure.

I don't recall what happens if a phone is powered off, but still configured in CM.

Ven

Ven Taylor

Thanks Ven.  We had a major power outage this weekend at one of our sites.  Our sub went down and now some phones at that site are not registering.  In CM the license report only shows we have 3 licenses remaining.  Our thinking is that the "command center" turned on a bunch of phones that were in a box for emergency use and we are now short on licenses.  That is why I asked the question if  CM "holds" the license for that MAC address of the phone even though it is turned off. 

Thanks.

I see.

Well, the fastest way to fix the problem would be to go into your Publisher and check for auto-registered phones that are not connected and delete them.  Reboot your "real" phones and they should be good to go.

You may get some words from the folks that turned on the other phones, but they should know better.  Make them buy the licenses!! 

Ven

Ven Taylor

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

Just to add a note to the excellent tips from Ven (+5 Ven )

The licenses are assigned to a phone as soon as they are configured in CUCM admin. It doesn't

matter if they are powered on or not.

Cheers!

Rob

So if I configure the phones in CUCM it will hold the license no matter if the phone is turned off and not registered for 2-3 months?  Is the only way to "release" the license from the phone to delete the phone?

Thanks!