cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Read a Cisco 8811 Problem Report

stevenle
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have a Cisco 8811 at home that is having an issue. I can submit a problem report through the phone GUI and then download it off a phone browser page. The PRT is in the traditional Cisco tar.gz format which I have always had trouble being able to read. I used 7-zip to extract the file and that deciphered it. But I can only read the first 405 lines, after that it's all encrypted gibberish. Then I can read the last couple of thousand lines.But maybe the problem is in the encrypted  lines

Anyone know how to read the entire file? I've asked TAC a time of two about the tar.gz files but I've never gotten a straight answer. Reading the tar.gz files is useful in a lot of situations, not just for the problem report.

1 Reply 1

bijpraka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

tar.gz is an open format and is not specific to Cisco.

https://www.howtogeek.com/362203/what-is-a-tar.gz-file-and-how-do-i-open-it/

The PRT does not have any encrypted content. It has a bunch of archives though which again are compressed as tar.gz. You will have to open each archive to go through the logs. 

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: