Views
Helpful
Replies

How to trace DTMF inputs

allahverdiyev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

How can I trace dialed DTMF digits between 2 sip endpoints registered to CUCM? One endpoint is 9971, another one is third-party device which is able to accept DTMF digits and do some actions. 9971 calls thrid-pary device and dial code to do action during the call.

Thank you for your answers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Same basic concepts apply: either the DTMF events are out-of-band and visible in the SIP dialog (eg KPML) or in-band as NTE packets in the RTP stream (eg RFC2833). A packet capture will plainly show both assuming the call isn’t encrypted.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

In all scenarios are related to trunk. I am asking about both parties are registered devices, not trunk.

Same basic concepts apply: either the DTMF events are out-of-band and visible in the SIP dialog (eg KPML) or in-band as NTE packets in the RTP stream (eg RFC2833). A packet capture will plainly show both assuming the call isn’t encrypted.

thank you for answer.

Just 2 questions:

1. How can I define whether it is OOB or in Band between 2 registered endpoints? Again, there is not sip trunk. It is single cluster.

2. Packet capture is the only way to trace DTMF inputs?

As Jon mentioned, same concept applies between endpoint as well.

You need to check the traces and logs to find out if its OOB or IN-Band DTMF is being used.

9971 supports both OOB and IN-Band DTMF and most of the case IN-Band unless changed from configuration side forcefully.

Packet capture and logs both can be used to identify the DTMF method used in the call.

I would suggest you go through the provided document and understand the logic behind it and same it goes for phones as well.

Please rate if you find this helpful
Thank You
Balram
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: