cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade C1861-SRST-C-F/K9 to support ISDN?

rgwarrior
Level 1
Level 1

I own a C1861-SRST-C-F/K9 but it has only FXO and FXS ports.

How can I upgrade it to support telephony over ISDN?

I tried to find a compatible card for the HWIC port but there are many that are not supported?!

It would be great if someone can share her/his experience on this topic

Kind regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Sol,

Q. Does the Cisco 1861(E) support the digital voice/WAN interface cards (VWICs)?

A. No, digital voice interface cards are not supported on the Cisco 1861(E) at first customer shipment (FCS).

Q. Is the T1/E1 HWIC with integrated channel service unit/data service unit (CSU/DSU) (HWIC-1T1/E1) module data-only, or can it support voice capabilities such as fractional PRI?

A.  It is a data-only module.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/ps8321/prod_qas0900aecd806c4def.html

Kind regards,
Andrew C.

Kind regards, Andrew C.

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sol,

These aren't going to work either

Restrictions for ADSL HWICs

ADSL  HWICs can be inserted only into onboard HWIC-enabled slots on Cisco  routers. Initially, these routers are the Cisco 1800 series (modular),  the Cisco 2800 series, and the Cisco 3800 series integrated services  routers.

The ISDN interfaces on HWIC-ADSL-B/ST and HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST are data only.

ATM adaption layer 2 (AAL2) is not supported.

ADSL  HWICs do not support dual latency. When the ADSL link is intended to  support both voice and data traffic simultaneously, the link should be  configured for either all fast-path data or all interleave data with an  interleave depth of zero to insure that latency is minimized. In  addition, the total supported data rate must be reduced to adjust for  the reduced coding gain, which is usually present with high-latency  traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t11/dsl_hwic.html

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi Sol,

Q. Does the Cisco 1861(E) support the digital voice/WAN interface cards (VWICs)?

A. No, digital voice interface cards are not supported on the Cisco 1861(E) at first customer shipment (FCS).

Q. Is the T1/E1 HWIC with integrated channel service unit/data service unit (CSU/DSU) (HWIC-1T1/E1) module data-only, or can it support voice capabilities such as fractional PRI?

A.  It is a data-only module.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/ps8321/prod_qas0900aecd806c4def.html

Kind regards,
Andrew C.

Kind regards, Andrew C.

Hi Andrew,

thank your for your answer.

So there is NO way other than exchanging the complete device?

I really hoped that "at first customer shipment (FCS)" is some time ago

Kind regards

Hi Sol,

Judging at the document I found, there is no way to connect it to ISDN PRI/BRI indeed. You can consult with your local reseller to be completely sure, though.

Kind regards,
Andrew C.

Kind regards, Andrew C.

I found (HWICs Supported in the HWIC Slot):

HWIC-ADSL-B/ST (Dual-port HWIC with ADSL over POTS and ISDN BRI ports (12.4(20)T, 12.4(22)T and later))

HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST (Dual-port HWIC with ADSL over ISDN and ISDN BRI ports.(12.4(20)T, 12.4(22)T and later))

They both offer one ISDN BRI port as "backup".

Has anyone used something like this for a voice connection?

Kind regards

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sol,

These aren't going to work either

Restrictions for ADSL HWICs

ADSL  HWICs can be inserted only into onboard HWIC-enabled slots on Cisco  routers. Initially, these routers are the Cisco 1800 series (modular),  the Cisco 2800 series, and the Cisco 3800 series integrated services  routers.

The ISDN interfaces on HWIC-ADSL-B/ST and HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST are data only.

ATM adaption layer 2 (AAL2) is not supported.

ADSL  HWICs do not support dual latency. When the ADSL link is intended to  support both voice and data traffic simultaneously, the link should be  configured for either all fast-path data or all interleave data with an  interleave depth of zero to insure that latency is minimized. In  addition, the total supported data rate must be reduced to adjust for  the reduced coding gain, which is usually present with high-latency  traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t11/dsl_hwic.html

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band

I am afraid you are right

Thank you all for your effort!

Kind regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: