Views
Helpful
Replies

I need help/Documentation to do packet capturing on router for VoIP calls

voipeee
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Experts,

I am getting one-way audio issue and quality issues tickets very often. I have seen TAC Engineers enabling packet capturing on the router. They are using commands like

#moniter capture cisco interface both

#moniter capture cisco match ipv4 any any

Could anyone provide me little more idea about these commands and how to save then them to flash memory?

Also please let me know the cons of using these commands.

Thanks in advance,

Muk

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you read this: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-embedded-packet-capture/116045-productconfig-epc-00.html

or googled for "cisco router packet capture" which has many hits including youtube videos?

Hi @Chris Deren,

Thanks for your response, yes, I have checked this and many other documents but I have few questions regarding this:

1) Does circular/linear means mean oneway/both ways media?

2) What is cef?

3) What is the use of both?

I would appreciate if you could help me to clear these doubts.

Thanks,

Muk

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

what is it you are trying to capture?

one way audio is 9 out of ten times caused by routing, i would personally get hold of SIP/signalling traces on your cube or cucm

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi @Dennis Mink,

Thanks for your response, yes, I want to capture the packets for one way audio issue as of now, however, I want to use it for call quality issues as well.

Could you please provide me a bunch of commands for these scenarios:

1) Packet capturing a particular test for both inbound and outbound(means in wireshark I should be able to hear both sides media).

2) Packet capture a call only inbound/outbound(I should be able to hear only outbound or inbound media)

Also as you mentioned the oneway audio issue most of the times would be routing issue...could you please suggest me any general troubleshooting steps for CME one way audio issues?

Thanks in advance.

Muk

run a debug ccsip message on your cme on a failing call and add to post so we can have a look

for audio quality stats, these can be pulled of the phone through the settijngs button, it will tell you jitter and packet drops.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.