Views
Helpful
Replies

I think this is more than I can handle

tracker141
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone;

So after many years of want to learn, I picked up an 1861-UC and well all I can say is WOW. Had now ideas how different this could be from my ASA. And I will admit I have gotten pretty good with the ASA over the last few years.

I will admit I have always like Cisco IP phones and I have a few now running on SIP with Asterisk. But I have always heard that SIP and Cisco phones are not the best combination. So I was looking around and found an 1861-UC for a good price and thought why not let's learn something new.  Now I understand these are end-of-life and have been for a long time but that's ok this is just for home and home business use.

So let me explain a little of what I have and maybe I can get some recommendations on how to best set this up or at least a framework that I can work with. I have been able to get the Cisco phones to get an IP address from the router, download their configs and call each other. Custom screen backgrounds, ringtones, and MOH are for another time. And speaking of time that is off too.

Currently, I have 3 DIDs from call-centric; personal (home), business (home business) and fax. Lets start with the fax number as it is the simplest, a call comes in from that DID route it to the FXS port the fax is plugged into. A personal call comes it, rings phones that use the personal line, say ephone 1, 2, 3, and 4. These phones would have a line appearance and then that line is selected the outbound caller id is the personal number. Same would be for business but only phones 1 and 3 ring and they have a line appearance for it. When that button is used to place a call the business number is shown for outbound caller id.

There is also the issue of getting the SIP trunk up and running. I could use an ATA an use the FXO ports, but I would like to get this working without that. Less hardware to maintain I guess. Thank you for your time and I look forward to getting this working.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

the ATA has no FXO ports and plus it doesnt run autonomously either, so you can throw that idea out of the window. 

the 1861 does support sip, so using a SIP trunk for in and outbound calls is the way foward.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.