cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Dial Peer + CUCM SIP trunk question

Paul McGurn
Level 6
Level 6

We're getting ready to roll out a hybrid solution where we have a handful of CUCM MGCP-controlled IOS gateways that have PRI's connected but will also act as a SIP demerk from our SIP carrier.  I noticed that in order to take this approach, we needed dial peers on the gateways themselves, and also translation patterns in CUCM (the dial peers use the session target command to point the calls to CUCM).

My quesiton, is around making this configuration as efficent as possible.  The we're doing the routing via the destination pattern command, and we do not have much flexibility on the DID of the numbers coming in.  The one attribute to these calls that makes tham all unique vs. our other PRI traffic is that they are all E.164 formatted.  My question is, is it safe/a good best practice to wildcard the destination pattern so that it matches any and all E.164 formatted strings.

Like:

destination-patter +.+$

where the first + is the leading + in the E.164 string, and ".+" is any umber of digits after it (since our PRI's don't pass in anything but the 10-digit DID, no +).

Insight greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, since there is nothing else that would overlaps unless you are sending calls out to the SIP trunk with + sign, this is accaptable and will work fine.  On CUCM side you can set the significantDigits on the SIP trunk to 10 digits to strip +1 or use a translation pattern.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, since there is nothing else that would overlaps unless you are sending calls out to the SIP trunk with + sign, this is accaptable and will work fine.  On CUCM side you can set the significantDigits on the SIP trunk to 10 digits to strip +1 or use a translation pattern.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for affirming.  Yeah, we noted with the carrier that we won't be passing them E.164 on the outbound calls, so we're OK there.  I tested it successfully, so I'm a happy camper.  Managing two dial-peers (CUCM redundancy) for each DID/DDI coming in looked to be an utter nightmare.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: