cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator installer forcing a reboot

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

I had someone in our company help me create a package that I could remotely deploy to a user's computer to install Cisco IP Communicator (CIPC) and sets the TFTP addresses.  It works well and CIPC is installed correctly but the only problem I have is that when the installation is complete, it forces the user's computer to reboot.  I saw this in the CIPC admin guide (Cisco IP Communicator Administration Guide Release 8.6)...

"If you want Cisco IP Communicator to display a dialog box that users must manually dismiss before the installer reboots the PC, add a "+" character after "qb" to the commands in the table above.

I assume that means that the user would see a box they'd have to manually click to either allow a reboot or to not allow the reboot.  Is that correct?  So, we added that but it's still forcing a reboot. Does anyone have any experience with this and if so, have you been able to create the package that does NOT force a reboot once CIPC is finished being installed?  

This is the entry my colleague edited for the package to install CIPC.  IP addresses changed due to posting public:

CiscoIPCommunicatorSetup.msi /qb+ TFTP1="192.168.1.2" TFTP2="192.168.1.3" 

EDIT:

As I was reading more about this, I found this Microsoft page that describes the various options for the user interface during the install (you can hide all dialog, show a basic dialogue, etc).  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367988.aspx

I wonder if the /qb+ is not really what we want?  

Mabye this is the option I really want to force the dialog to show at the end of the install?  qn+

According to Microsoft's site, qn+ means No UI except for a modal dialog box displayed at the end.

It does looks like the qb+ also displays the dialog at the end (according to below) but it gives the user an option to cancel?  Anyway, all I'm really after is a way to get this installed remotely without forcing a reboot of the PC.  This is not really my area of expertise (creating these installer packages...another colleague has done this for me).

Command-Line Options (Windows)

/q n|b|r|f

Sets user interface level.

q , qn - No UI

qb - Basic UI. Use qb! to hide the Cancel button.

qr - Reduced UI with no modal dialog box displayed at the end of the installation.

qf - Full UI and any authored FatalError, UserExit, or Exit modal dialog boxes at the end.

qn+ - No UI except for a modal dialog box displayed at the end.

qb+ - Basic UI with a modal dialog box displayed at the end. The modal box is not displayed if the user cancels the installation. Use qb+! or qb!+ to hide the Cancel button.

qb- - Basic UI with no modal dialog boxes. Please note that /qb+- is not a supported UI level. Use qb-! or qb!- to hide the Cancel button.

Note that the ! option is available with Windows Installer 2.0 and works only with basic UI. It is not valid with full UI.

0 Replies 0