Views
Helpful
Replies

8831 phone latest firmware installation

master001
Level 2
Level 2
Hello everyone,
I plan to upgrade the 8831 phone firmware to latest one 10.3(1)SR2  from 10.3(1) ( sip8831.10-3-1-16). 
I have the following questions, your information and support are highly appreciated. 

. Is it possible to just install the firmware file to one of CUCM (version 8.6)  subscriber server?  or I have to install it to all CUCM servers?  (currently the pub doesn't have 8831 10.3(1)firmware installed, other 2 subs have)  
. The Cisco download website shows signed COP file , as well as 8831 firmware files only.  What is signed COP file?   Any difference between them?
Thank you and best regards,
Master001 
5 Replies 5

Deepak Mehta
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi ,

- As you are doing upgrade for existing Device type ,you can only apply firmware to publisher and  the TFTP server or wherever TFTP is activated and reboot once it is done.

- What i know is that COP files can be used to upgrade via software iinstall/upgrade which is in the OS administration page.So you can do the install via SFTP or DVD.

Firmware files also supplied in zip file, as an alternative in case a Cisco Unified Communication Manager is not available to run the executable installer program. After unzipping the firmware files, they should be manually copied to the appropriate directory on the TFTP server.

Thanks

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

My understanding is that if you try to install a phone firmware file on a Subscriber which is not installed on the Publisher the install will fail. I have never tried this as I cannot see any scenario in which it would make sense to do so.

You do not have to install the firmware on all Subscribers in the cluster but it would be risky not to do so as you could potentially have issues with management and phone registration in the future.

The signed COP files are designed for installation on Linux appliance based CUCM servers (although COP firmware can be version dependent - signed loads are for later releases). They contain everything in the ZIP files.

The zip files are generally used for CUCM Express which cannot use the COP files. The zip based firmware is also useful for recovering faulty phones. Basically you put the files on a TFTP server and get the faulty phone to boot from there.

I hope that this has answered some of your questions.

Shashank Mahajan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As per the Release Notes for firmware version 10.3(1)SR2, it is recommended to install the firmware on all CUCM nodes in the cluster.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8831/firmware/10-3-1-sr2/english/release-notes/cs38_b_phone-8831-release-notes-1031sr2.html#task_0192E8E6C2FDC8FE184E3EFDD1B5958E

To improve software integrity protection, new public keys are used to sign cop files for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 10.0.1 and later. These cop files have "k3" in their name. To install a k3 cop file on a pre-10.0.1 Cisco Unified Communications Manager, consult the README for the ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn to determine if this additional cop file must first be installed on your specific Cisco Unified Communications Manager version. If these keys are not present and are required, you will see the error "The selected file is not valid" when you try to install the software package.

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282204704/18582/RSA3ver4.pdf

The Cisco IP Phone Model 8831 Firmware version 10.3(1SR2) is also supplied in zip file, as an alternative in case a Cisco Unified Communication Manager is not available to run the executable installer program. After unzipping the firmware files, they should be manually copied to the appropriate directory on the TFTP server.

master001
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks all for your info.    

The current 2 CUCM subscribers have been installed with the device pack which comes with 8831 firmware 10.3(1).   The publisher has been rebuilt recently without device pack installation yet.

So, looks device pack installation on pub should be first, then 8831 latest firmware installation will be next ??     I don't have lab to test now... so, I just would like to know if any other options I may have. 

Thanks again,

Master001

Hi,

Yes if that is the case then device pack will have to be installed first followed by a cluster reboot.After this you go for latest firmware installation with COP file.thanks

If that goes well and you are able to add new device then upgrade to new firmware shouldn't be a problem.thanks