Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator SoftPhone - Sound Issues

tommydubs
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

We're experiencing a lot poor feedback from our users about the softphone.  It's so hit or miss, that I'm not really sure where the problem lays.

The most recent (and this pretty much sums up the issue with all the other complaints as well) is using the softphone from different locations.  When we first set up the phone, tested from within the office, everything worked perfectly.  I also always have my users test from their homes to ensure that they understand the process of conecting to the VPN, etc... I was told the phone worked great as well from there.  I then get a call from the user while actually traveling for business that they are not able to hear the other party on the phone.  We did our testing - audio tuning wizard, configure for low bandwidth, reinstalling the headset and so on - and nothing seems to take.

The Audio tuning wizard checks out fine.  In all cases we're able to hear the test sound through the assigned devices and the mic works great.  Could it be poor connections or security on just about every hotel network that my users stay at that is causing this issue?  They're able to connect to the VPN, and the phones do register, but it just seems that more times than most, the softphone just doesnt work when it really matters.

Any suggestions?  Anyone using the IP Commuincator flawlessly so far no matter where they travel to?

Thanks!

Tommy

1 Reply 1

bernhardczapp
Level 4
Level 4

Does the phone receive any RTP at all?

When using CIPC and 79XX phones try hitting "?" key twice. This should bring up the RTP statistics.

When the user doesn't hear anything / no RTP is received check if there is any firewall or routing problem!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: