Views
Helpful
Replies

Ip phone 6921 over network

Hello all,

my scenario  looks like this :

Internet --> ASA5505 --> Router 3945 -- > Ip phone 6921

My question is :

Can i dial other ip phone on the internet without external number. For example can i dial the ip of the other phone?

Can i register the external ip phone to the router without VPN?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you need a call control agent to call anything, and you need to have a dial plan to do so.

No, you either need to use the phone proxy or phone VPN to register the phone to the call control

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello what call control agent do i need my friend? And what is this dial plan? Thanks

Hello

I try to keep this simple, so it’s maybe not 100% accurate but hopefully give you an idea about call control agent and dial plan

call control agent

Simply explained the Server who knows every phone and the dial plan of them.

All Cisco Phones are designed to work with a cisco call control agent (Like Cisco unified Communications Manager) Since you have a Cisco 3945 router I guess you're using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express. (on which your Phone is registered) Can you confirm this? (do a "show telephony-service" on your Router) you may post a full config here. Keep in mind to remove sensitive  data before posting.

Dial Plan

Simply explained this is list of which phone gets which number.
Additionally there are entries for Numbers outside your Organization. (because this numbers have to be routed through a T1 link, SIP Trunk or maybe even analog line)

cheers