cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN BRI NT/TE

tony199919
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect 4 X ISDN BRI ports to the Telco for PSTN connectivity, would i use a cross-over cable or a straight-through cable to the Telco from my Cisco Router? I tried a Straight through and could only get layer one active but failed to bring up layer 2, could wrong cable pin-out prevent layer 2 from coming up?Or can it only be a protocol issue for not negotiating layer 2 TEI?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

6 Replies 6

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Tony,

This is usually a straight csable from the router to the TELCO NTE.

The fact that you were able to bring up layer 1 sounds like the straight cable is correct.

Layer 2 not coming up seems more like a config issue like the wrong isdn switch type.

Can you show your config and what country are you connecting in ?

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi Acampbell,

Thanks for the reply, i`m setup as switch type basic-net 3 i`m in South Africa so using isdn Euro also setup for point to point incoming voice voice and this is a MGCP gateway so L3 binded back to call manager, just i have setup other sites fine with this configuration but for some reason this site not coming up, there is quite a old PBX connected to this site currenty and we replacing this so i`m thinking maybe the telco is providing a older Protocol currently, i couldnt get hold of the telco today to find out what the setting are but will contact them on monday to find out, i was just skeptical about the cabling as we have a normal LAN rj45 straight through plugged into the Telco side...

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You many need to use static TEI 0.

Nothe that using MGCP for ISDN BRI is not a good choice.

Thanks I will try this, unfortunately i don't have a choice as the approved design for the customer is MGCP...

Maybe the person that 'approved' should then make it work too?

I don't even know if you can set static TEI with MGCP, buf if you can't, or doesn't it work., or when you will find some typical limitations of MGCP (there are many), what value to give the 'approved' status...

Yes i agree the approvers always mysteriously disappear when the solution needs to be setup, i have setup allot of bri`s on MGCP gateways but never ran into this issue, hence i was leaning towards the telco setup as the PBX is very old... I will check if static TEI can be setup on MGCP thanks...