cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue adding 8.5 server into 8.6 cluster

kylebrogers
Level 4
Level 4

I have an 8.6(2a)SU2 publisher running on an MCS 7835-I3.  I received an identical 7835 and need to install it as a publisher.  I know that you cannot add a subscriber into a cluster unless its version matches the publisher.  But the server came with 8.5.1 installed.  Normally this would be no big deal because I would simply point it to the 8.6.2aSU2 ISO during install as a patch.  BUT since I'm crossing the 8.5-8.6 barrier I'm required to first install the 1.1 COP Refresh file.  There is my problem.  I can't give it both the COP and the 8.6 ISO.  I also cannot do a bootable DVD install of 8.6(2a)SU2 (it's a long story, just trust me that it's not going to be an option). 

Anyone have any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately sounds like you will need to get 8.6 bootable install to work, in order to install the SUB.

Only other option might be to rollback the PUB to 8.5, add the SUB to the cluster and then upgrade both back to 8.6

Problem with this is you will loose all your changes since you migrated from 8.5 to 8.6

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have an 8.6(2a)SU2 publisher running on an MCS 7835-I3.  I received an identical 7835 and need to install it as a publisher.

So, are you installing another cluster or did you mean to install a subscriber?

If you need to install a sub, you will need to get a hold of bootable 8.6 media or ISO, I cannot think of any other way to get this installed without it. Keep in mind that the non-bootable ISOs from CCO can be changed to bootable as it has been discussed on this forum many times, though it is not supported by Cisco.

HTH,

Chris

Chris,

Sorry about that.  I did mean Subscriber.  Due to some issues I've been working with TAC on for a week, I can't go with a bootable media option.  I have bootable copies of just about every 8.x version but none of them will work.  After spending so much time with C2xx series virtual servers I'd forgotten how much I hated MCS servers. 

Unfortunately sounds like you will need to get 8.6 bootable install to work, in order to install the SUB.

Only other option might be to rollback the PUB to 8.5, add the SUB to the cluster and then upgrade both back to 8.6

Problem with this is you will loose all your changes since you migrated from 8.5 to 8.6