Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with line shared between FXO port and fax machine

paul_romsos
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon -

We recently installed new services at a site and decided to go with POTS lines for backup connectivity in the event of the failure of our T1.  We are sharing these pots lines between a fax machine(s) (direct, not through the voice gateway) and an FXO port(s).  The issue I'm running into is that when the FXO ports are active ('no shut' on the ports from the gateway) calls coming into the fax machine ring once then go to a busy signal.  Needless to say it goes busy before the fax machine can pickup.  If I shut down the ports the calls ring through to the fax machine no problem.

My questions are...

Is there something I can do to make the FXO ports on the gateway outbound only?  We have no need for calls coming inbound to the FXO's.

If need be can I make the FXO port just ring indefinitely so I know the fax will answer first?

Some info on our setup

Cisco 2821 IOS version 12.4(24)T2

Call Manager Version 6

We're running MGCP on the gateway

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks.

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the Port Information section of the FXO MGCP configuration you will see a Port Direction. You can set that to Outbound.

If that doesn't do it there is a Ring Number setting in the Product Specific Configuration Layout section farther down. Increase the ring number to something greater than the fax machine.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the Port Information section of the FXO MGCP configuration you will see a Port Direction. You can set that to Outbound.

If that doesn't do it there is a Ring Number setting in the Product Specific Configuration Layout section farther down. Increase the ring number to something greater than the fax machine.

The ring number setting did the trick, not sure how I missed that before.  Thanks for the help Jonathan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: