Views
Helpful
Replies

max sessions

Eugene Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

Was just wondering, what does the "max sessions" command specify under the SCCP configs on a voice gateway?

If I configure max sessions 2 under the conference DSP farm, will a session be one call leg (making the max sessions 2 option a useless option for conferencing) or will a session be considered the amount of simultaneous conferences on a bridge, or is a session considered something else?

The reason for my question, I came across a client's gateway config which specified a "max sessions 2" under the conferencing DSP. I usually configure this to be 8 or 5, without thinking about it. The client is able to make ad-hoc conference calls with 3 or more participants in a call, which doesnt make sense to me. This triggered a chain of questions, because I have always configured max sessions without thinking about it much. First I would configure the PRI's and bring them up, second I'll configure the DSP farms with MTP max session = 250, conferencing = 5 or 8 (depend on customer site), and transcoding will take the remaining resources, which I usually specify by typing max sessions ? under the transcoding DSP farm and configure it with whatever the reaming figure is.

To be honest, I have never given it much thought, and have never ran into any issues but now Im questioning my config after seeing a max sessions 2 under a conference DSP farm.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Eugene,

1 session is actually 1 conference call with the number of participants specified.

You could configure the conference bridge to do a 4 party/8 party/16 party conference and also based on these number of sessions available would vary. So with 2 sessions configfured you could make 2 conference calls with number of participants configured.

HTH

Rajan

View solution in original post

dspfarm profile 1 conference
maximum conference-participants 32
maximum sessions 2

For example, the above config will alow 2 conference calls with 32 partici[ants each. So session specifies one conferecing session from the DSP resource perspective for one conference though there will be multiple media streams from the conference bridge to each endpoints in the conference.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Eugene,

Let me move this post to IP Telephony community. This community is for Cisco WebEx Meetings Server and Cisco Unified MeetingPlace products and is not observed by Voice GW experts.

I hope this will get you to the answer faster.

-Dejan

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Eugene,

1 session is actually 1 conference call with the number of participants specified.

You could configure the conference bridge to do a 4 party/8 party/16 party conference and also based on these number of sessions available would vary. So with 2 sessions configfured you could make 2 conference calls with number of participants configured.

HTH

Rajan

dspfarm profile 1 conference
maximum conference-participants 32
maximum sessions 2

For example, the above config will alow 2 conference calls with 32 partici[ants each. So session specifies one conferecing session from the DSP resource perspective for one conference though there will be multiple media streams from the conference bridge to each endpoints in the conference.

Eugene Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Rajan.

Makes perfect sense now.