Views
Helpful
Replies

measuring IPv4 and IPv6 VoiP jitter, delay and packet loss

jpimenta21901
Level 1
Level 1

hi everyone

i was wondering if anyone know any good software that i can measure delay, jitter and packet loss on a network.  i tried almost every single one on the internet but did not get the result i want.  i created a topology to use on my Final Year Project, and my aim is to analyse the traffic when making a phone call using cisco IP phone?  can i use Wireshark to get the results, if yes, how? thank you 

9 Replies 9

Vivek Batra
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi,

Please check the following documents for Wireshark and follow the defined procedure. 

http://sharkfest.wireshark.org/sharkfest.12/presentations/BI-7_VoIP_Analysis_Fundamentals.pdf

https://wiki.wireshark.org/RTP_statistics

Thanks
Vivek

Thank you, i am going have a look at that and if i can get the info i need..

Hi Jpimenta,

You can use Cisco Prime Collaboration or SolarWinds with VOIP module to calculate jitter, QoS, and so on. Both are licensed.

Regards

hi, thank you, i tried SolarWinds but didnt work on my Laptop, had some problems, i will try the cisco prime collaboration.

Hi jpimenta21901,

beyond what Leo Salcie Tejeda and Vivek Batra said ... remember that you can always use the '? double click' to get useful info about the call.

Hope this helps.

hi thank you, could you please specify the '? double click'  ? i have not header of that.

Hi,

some IP Phones have a '?' button that you can use to get info about the call ... you just need to hit the button twice ("double click"). It shows very useful info in a simple way.

Hope this helps

Hi,

in other IP Phones, like the 7821, you can use the Call Statistics ... check the following link.

You have: Avg Jitter, Max Jitter, Latency, and others.

Hope this helps.

hi, thank you im going try all the techniques...thank you everyone for taking your time to help me

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: