Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SIP trunk termination on Single Ethernet Interface

anil.nangia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can we terminate multiple SIP trunk on Single Ethernet Interface (using sub interfaces) from Service Provider on Cisco 4451-X CUBE?

If yes, then what all would be the limitations/restrictions to implement the same.

Regard's

Anil

11 Replies 11

Yes completely possible. The only restriction on that is overwhelming the
BW of the port

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks a lot for your reply, btw you mean to say that the total SIP trunk BW should not crossed the Interface bandwidth.

So just for info my SIP BW requirement is 40Mbps and the interface capacity is 1Gig.

I think that shouldn't be an issue.

And the design is like we are going to put two CUBE's active/standby with CUBE redundancy licenses.

WAN side, will configure three HSRP groups with three different IP addresses for three SIP trunks.

please correct me if design is wrong.

Regard's

Anil

With CUBE HA, you will have a single SIP trunk terminating on one CUBE or it is going to be multiple SIP trunks per CUBE ?

Three different IP addresses ? Can you explain that part ? You will have one WAN facing interface and one ITSP facing interface. HSRP redundancy is through a virtual IP address. This is what you reference on CUCM (taken the fact you are using one) and not the actual interface IP addresses.

Hi Nipun,

There are actually three sites, two cubes at each site ... Active and Standby

The trunk distribution will be like...

Stie1      >>>>>>>     Stie2        >>>>>>>       Site3

Primary                   Primary                            Primary

Secondary (Site1)                  Secondary(Site2)

Secondary (Site3)

Regard's

Are these sites communicating with each other directly or do you have a CUCM based deployment ?

Hi Nipun,

These will be contact center sites and yes, CUCM will be there.

All the agents will be registered to centralised CUCM.

And CUBEs will be used for inbound and outbound dialling.

All sites will be connected with MPLS.

Regard's

Anil,

The design should be fine. Each CUBE pair will be managing the incoming
calls to that site and send them to backend CUCM. Just make sure that you
stick to CUBE HA design best practice such as connecting the CUBEs
point-to-point thought switch etc.

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your reply, No, actually primarily CUBE will accept the calls for local site but has secondary trunks terminate for other site also, means if anything goes wrong with those site all the calls will be routed to that site. but yes all the users & agents will be registered to Single CUCM cluster.

I didn't understand on CUBE HA.

However I have designed for Active & Standby mode.

And yes I am considering switch between CUBE's for interconnectivity.

Regard's

Anil

You cannot have CUBE HA across locations or over a WAN. The CUBE pair needs to be local and it's recommended to have both of them off the same switch. Media is preserved through check pointing (SSO) from the failed CUBE to the active working CUBE. Read this to check for restrictions etc -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-border-element/112095-cube-hsrp-config-00.html

Hi Nipun,
No, I think you misunderstood the design..

Total Sites 3
Total CUBE's 6
Two CUBE at each site
In Active Standby mode ( Primary as Active, Secondary as Standby) at each site
With CUBE redundant licenses ...

That looks right. Your previous post had me thinking that you might be trying to achieve HA over WAN. Never mind.