Slot 2/1

Slot 3

Slot 3/0

Slot 3/1

Slot 4

Slot 4/0

Slot 4/1

the router is coming with PVDM3-64

when i started the router all the VIC2-4FXO on module zero did not initialized and it gives error that no enough dsp resources to initialize it

i did:

voice-card 0

dspfarm

dsp services dspfarm

and booted the router again but still same problem. There there something iam missing and need to be enabled in configuration or something else?

please advice

ibrahim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

NM-HD-2V usually comes with on-board DSP which is being used up by the FXO ports on the HD-2V module(no DSP sharing possible). I believe what might be happening here is that since you have 20 ports on the EVM module(8 FXS+12 FXO), it must be using 2 complete DSP's(since 1 DSP=16 channels only). Hence in your 3945 since you have 2 such EVM modules, they must be taking up all the 4 DSP's. The NM-HD-2V modules have their own DSP on board which they must be using and hence the other 16 FXO's on slot 0 are left without any DSP. Going by the same logic, your test in the lab on the 3945 router can also be explained.

To test this, can you remove the 12 FXO ports from the EVM module and reboot the router? You should be having

2x VIC2-4FXO (installed in slot 0)

1 EVM module (8 FXS) installed in slot 1

1 PVDM3-32

Post your results here.

regards

Nitesh

PS:Please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

ichehouri
Level 2
Level 2

below is the router details

Slot 0 Interface Cards

Slot 0/0

Slot 0/1

Slot 0/2

Slot 0/3

Service / Network Modules

Slot 1

Slot 1/0

Slot 1/1

Slot 2

Slot 2/0

Slot 2/1

Slot 3

Slot 3/0

Slot 3/1

Slot 4

Slot 4/0

Slot 4/1

Sorry. the previous posts was not showing the details. check the attached image

regards,

Ibrahim

could you post a "show diag"

What codec complexity are you using on your voice-card?

You can try this:

voice-card 0

codec complexity flex

That should enable more call density.

Regards,

Victor Dang.

Hi,

attached is the show diag.

i also tried the below but also not working:

voice-card 0

codec complexity flex

any suggestions

regards,

Ibrahim Chehouri

Hi Ibrahim,

Are you using any dspfarm profiles on your gateway because that may consume some of your DSP resources. Try eliminating a few sessions under the dspfarm profiles if any and check whether it helps. Can you attach the following

'show run'

'show voice dsp group all'

show voice dsp all

regards

Nitesh

PS:Pl rate helpful posts

Check this Cisco doc. I don't think 3945 supports EVM-HD-8FXS DID card.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2617/prod_qas0900aecd8016c487_ps5854_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

Check the routers which support it. PVDM 2 is required to support this module. This may be why you are facing this issue.

Hope this helps

regards

Nitesh

PS: Pl rate helpful posts

Hi,

i do not have any dspfarm profiles configured. it is new router without configuration.

Also the EVM-HD-8FXS DID card is working. Just the VIC cards on the slot 0 are not working

i added one more PVDM3-64 and all ports were working fine encluding the slot 0 VIC cards. I am wondering why one PVDM3-64 does not look enough to operate all my cards (46 FXO and 16 FXS)

regards,

Ibrahim

Quite possible that one or more of the DSP channels might have gone bad. Check the following doc to troubleshoot further

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2617/products_tech_note09186a008039c316.shtml

HTH

Regards

Nitesh

PS: Pl rate if it helps

Hi,

attached is the output of:

show voice dsp group all

show voice dsp all

from the output i see "This dsp is reserved for special purpose". the router is reserving DSP 1 for EVM-HD card in slot 1 and DSP 2 for EVM-HD card in slot 2

how can i get resources to my 4x VIC2-4FXO cards installed in slot 0?

regards,

Ibrahim

ichehouri
Level 2
Level 2

Any suggestions please

As you have mentioned,  the router is reserving DSP 1 for EVM-HD card in slot 1 and DSP 2 for EVM-HD card in slot 2. Now you just have 2 more DSP's left which are being used for the FXO ports on slot 3 and slot 4. Since these are analog ports, they are using the local DSP resources and DSP sharing cannot be configured since it works only for T1/E1 interfaces. Since all the 4 DSP's are utilized for the ports in slot 1,2,3 and 4 you do not have DSP's available for the ports on slot 0. This is the reason that when you added a new PVDM3-64 on the router, all the ports including the ports on slot 0 also work fine.

Check the concept of DSP sharing that i mentioned on the following link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_c/interop/intcnf2.html#wp1010335

Hope it answers your query.

Regards

Nitesh

Hi Nitesh,

thanks for the good explanation and link. I am wondering why the router is reserving the whole PDVM3-64 for the slots 1 and 2 while it is also enough for the interface cards in slot 0. Since this PVDM is on the motherboard then the interface cards on slot 0 should benefit from it

i have another voice gateway 2951 with one PVDM3-32 and the VG have 2x VIC2-4FXO in slot 0 and it has 1 EVM-HD module (8FXS and 12 FXO). All the voice ports are showing and there is no reservation for the DSP for slot 1 as it is hapening with my 3945 VG. Thats what confuses me and i am trying to get a resonable answer for that

can you please explain why DSP reservation is happening in 3945 VG and not happening in 2951 VG knowing that they are using same EVM-HD configuration (8FXS and 12 FXO)

regards,

Ibrahim

Hi Ibrahim,

I totally understand your concern. In your 2951 gateway, you just have one EVM-HD module. Due to the OIR(Online Insertion and Removal) needs of the EVM cards, they do not share the DSP's with other modules on the gateway. This is how they have been designed. Hence in your 2951 gateway, 1 DSP is still reserved for the EVM module while the only other remaining DSP(in PVDM3-32) is used up by the FXO ports.

On the other hand, in this 3945 gateway, since you have 2 EVM cards, they will reserve one DSP each, thus leaving 2 DSP's free. Again you have two NM-HD-2V modules which, as i had mentioned earlier, do not support DSP sharing. (NM-HDV2 supports DSP sharing but not NM-HD-2V). Hence they use up those two remaining DSP's, leaving you with the other FXO ports on slot 0 without any DSP resources. Since you have 16 FXO ports on slot 0, atleast another 16 channel DSP(probably PVDM3-16) should be added for these ports to get resources.

Hope this answers your concern.

Regards

Nitesh