Views
Helpful
Replies

Need clarification with FXO-LS on MGCP gateway with CUCM operation

Alexey Platov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello gurus

I've searched this forum and I read excellent documents from Cisco (must read for everyone using FXO!)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00800ae2d1.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800b53c7.shtml

I played with almost allsettings on my "voice-port 0/1/0".

But still did not find an answer to one question.

Here it is:

When incoming calls comes to FXO port is it ALWAYS answered (FXO goes off-hook) whatever further call distribution is - whether it will be answered by CUCM user or not? I mean that, e.g., if office is closed and nobody would answer this call then there is no need for FXO to answer this call - let it keeps ringing. Because if call is answered then accounting for calling user is also started from PTT.

Can somebody give me an answer - is it possible to configure FXO in such a way as to  answer a call only if CUCM user answers a call?

Thanks in advance,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Again: use H.323 with connection plar opx, and you will be fine.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do not use MGCP, is has too many limitations and drawbacks.

With H.323 or SIP. everything will work correctly instead.

Do you mean if I change gateway prorocol to H.323 then FXO would "go off-hook" only in case CUCM user answers this incoming call?

Besides I read somewhere here "Use MGCP when you can. Use H.323 when you have to".

With MGP everything's working fine except that point of FXO going off-hook even the call would not be answered.

Again: use H.323 with connection plar opx, and you will be fine.

Thanks. I changed to H323 gateway and It is working now right way.

You will also enjoy many more features, flexibility and ease of SRTS configuration now.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!