Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco Phone Rollout Troubles - 8811

SBenke
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am posting here because I am at a loss. My Company had its only person responsible for Telecom leave the company. Myself and another employee was put through a very bare-bone walkthrough for setting up new phones, but do not have any experience with this stuff.

Here is what is going on: We currently use a mix of 79XX Series of phones . We have a number of Helpline users who however also use Cisco Finesse. It recently was brought to our attention we have 117 Cisco 8811 phones, and the higher ups want us to start rolling these out to replace our current users with. We only have a single user that was already set up using one of these phones by our previous admin. 

Today to test we were trying to work through the processes for switching users over to the new phones, but ran into some issues. One of these phones had trouble due to the inactive load firmware was an earlier version, and we got that fixed and the other we tried to set up was able to register without issue. The issue then came with Finesse. After associating the device with the end user and setting the IPPC extension, we set the user up as normal but when trying to sign into Finesse these users got device is not accessible.

Given we needed them back in, we removed the extension and phones to set the users back in the way they had been using their 7941 phones. The issue however is even after a fresh set up they are still getting the same "Device is not accessible" error in Finesse.

In short: What is the best way to roll out these 8811 to existing users, and how can we fix this issue where Finesse is not working for these users anymore. If I need to give more information, let me know but I am still very new to all of this, we do not have any documentation from the previous admin and lack the ability for gaining more training.

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In addition to the normal End User, the call center product has an Application User that the phone needs to be associated with. Assuming UCCX, it has “rmcm” in the username.

Yes,
When we have set up the user's phone, we then go to the End User account and set the Device Association for Controlled Devices. This lets us then set the Directory Number Associations. The Associating the IPCC Extension then pulls the user into our UCCX as a Resource.

It is from there we can set their roles and other information. Normally at this point our users are able to log into Finesse. Using the same process we have used for all of our 79XX Series with the 8811 phones did not end up working and the users would get "Device not accessible. Contact your system administrator."

The further issue is since that has happened, even if we fully remove the phone, extension and user and set them back up fresh to go back to a 79XX phone, the error follows them. Other new users we set up this way still works as normal.