cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Phone Setup a Cisco CP-7861 Phone

christophert
Level 1
Level 1

I have a brand new CP-7861 phone that I need to deploy to new user.  I plugged into the network and "registration in progress" message has been on the screen for 2 days now.  I have it tied into a Cisco switch in the same port another Cisco phone was using that worked. I can access the CUCM and assign a User after the registration process have ended.  Thank you.

16 Replies 16

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you do not have auto-registration configured, or the device has not been configured in CUCM prior, it will not register.

If your DHCP is not working, even if the above is true, it will not be able to find the CUCM server to pull the configuration.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

So where do I go from here?

Jamie is asking if you are using auto registration or if that 7861 has been configured properly in Call Manager?  You need one of those two things to get the phone to register.  If one of those two are done then he is pointing out that DHCP may be an issue.  I would confirm the Call Manager config first.

Can you take a working phone and plug it into that same switch port and see if it registers?  That will at least eliminate a switch port configuration issue.

For phone to register by itself, you need to enable Auto registration.You can configure auto registration Under System>>Cisco Unified CM.

Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 3.39.48 PM.png

Or Manually Add the device From Device>>Phone>>Add new phone. Make sure that you configure the DN. If not, the phone won't register. 

Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 3.43.35 PM.png

Response Signature

I manually registered the phone and it's still no seeing it on CUCM (Attachment).

Can you confirm that the switchport you are plugging the phone into is configured correctly?

Can you take a working phone and plug it into that same switch port and see if it registers? That will at least eliminate a switch port configuration issue.

What does the phone show?

I'm using a Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Switch and all the ports are good.  

Aside from making sure that DHCP and basic connectivity is OK, did you configure a DN on the device?

SIP devices will NOT register if they don't have a DN

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I probably didn't configure a DN. How do I do that?

Go to the Device, click on the Line [1] button and assign a directory number, partition and other necessary parameters.

Just because you are using a 2960 does not mean that all the ports are configured appropriately.  Sure they may grant power but if that port does not have voice vlan configuration, even with a DN configured on the device you are trying to register, the phone will not know how to get to call manager to register.

On CUCM Go to your phone page.You find the line configurations on your left side.

Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 5.18.23 AM.pngScreenshot 2021-12-09 at 5.19.12 AM.png

Response Signature

I completed the configurations on Line 1 and even looked at another phone with the same set up and display shows "Phone not registered."

Does your phone get option 150 assigned from DHCP?

Response Signature

I don't have any idea about an option 150.  Where would I find it?