Views
Helpful
Replies

No dial tone

mohamad.tabbab
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

we are experiencing a very wired problem with our UCM system where one extension has no dial tone, cannot dial in or out and cannot receive calls and it was working fine before. the following have been tried to no avail:

- using EM logged on to another known-good IP phone but still no luck 

- all other extensions work fine when logging on to any other IP phones 

- deleted voice profile and created again 

searched all over the internet but still no solution. can anyone please help! I'm new to this!!

many thanks,

Mohamad

7 Replies 7

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mohamad,

What is the phone model, firmware version? What is the cucm version?

If only one phone is affected then you may try deleting and readding it on cucm, or you may try and connect it  to s different siwtch port.

If the cucm version is 8.x or higher then try deleting the ITL / CTL file from the phone.

if nothing works then try a factory reset of the phone, you can search for the steps on google by mentioning the phone model.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Hi there Manish,

many thanks for your prompt response!

i tried this extension on various phone models, 7942, 7962 and another old one (cannot remember model) but non worked. I am very convinced that it is something to do with the extension configuration no the phone. 

we are using 15.1(4)M4 CME 8.6 

GUI version 8.0.0.0 

any ideas? 

many thanks Anish

In that case you will need to check the dial plan for any similar extension being configured on the CME , a debug for any call attempted to this phone will also help ( debug voice ccapi inout ).

Manish

thanks again Manish. apologies as we took over this system which was set up by another and they did not give us any handover and we're sort of improvising as we go along and stabbing in the dark! 

I am not familiar with Cisco CME myself and only know how to create new voice profile and hunt group :) 

so, bearing in mind that i am a complete freshy with this thing how do i go about checking the dial plan against other extensions? or run a debug? 

PS: i know how to do "show run" :)

PPS im a very quick learner! 

thanks,

Mohamad

Hi Mohamad,

The recommended procedure of collecting the debugs from a router is detailed in the following doc

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/62906/how-properly-and-safely-collect-debugs-ios-router

The debug that you need to collect is "debug voice ccapi inout"

For dial plan you can check for any destination patterns in the dial peers, num-exp commands or any translation rules that match the extension of the phone in question.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Many thanks for your help Manish! I will try this and let you know how I get on

Thanks,

Mohamad

bilalhusan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have the similar issue on the CME.

One of 7911 phone is registered in cme but their was no dial tone.

Just removed and re-added the ephone-dn, it fixed the issue.

cme(config)#no ephone-dn xx

cme(config-ephone-dn)#ephone-dn xx

cme(config-ephone-dn)#number yyyy

cme(config-ephone-dn)#name abc

cme(config-ephone-dn)#label abc

cme(config)#ephone yy

cme(config-ephone)#button 1:xx

cme(config-ephone)#restart

Thanks,