cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Noob VOIP question.

55Kompressor
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a solution that fits my needs. I am the most technical person at the company where I am employed, so I have self-assigned my position to the problem I have voluntarily created, for the convenience of others. 

I work at an auto repair facility and our building is a bit over 6K sq/ft. I would like to install VOIP phones at every lift bay (+six VOIP phones), additionally, our two parts department workers each need a phone, (+two), and the front desk office lady needs a phone. Totaling nine (Possibly ten) VOIP phones. 

I would like all the VOIP phones to communicate with my other co-workers VOIP phones due to space constraints, physical barriers (BRICK WALLS), sound barriers (LOUD VEHICLES), and other giant obstacles that prevent human interaction over 100 or so feet. We need to communicate with each other to check local parts exhaustion, Work status, immediate high priority in person consultanting/help with a task (CHECK OIL/REPLACE LIGHT), etc. 

Shouting over 100 feet for a simple request and searching for one singular person like a hound is getting old. 

Walkie-talkies don't work too well in our area. Too much metal, and local traffic.

Facetime audio calls work great most of the time, except not every employee has an iPhone.

The local internet is terrible and unreliable. But the telephone is very reliable.

We have two POTs lines incoming from the modem. Same number, just two different answering machines. 

Ethernet is already routed around the building. 

I would like every VOIP phone to connect to the POTs, somehow, while using our existing telephone number. But I want every incoming call to be directed to the front desk lady. 

I would want some sort of intercom system, voicemail system, and stuff like that. 

I would like all of the advertised features of the Cisco CP-7961G phone, with all of the other mentioned features. 

How do I go about this..?

FreePBX and similar systems don't seem to fit my needs. The internet is too unreliable to have internal calls be routed (over the internet) to a third system.

Please keep in mind this is a small business with five employees. I am not looking for a $5000 Virtual/Physical PBX with numerous license keys and an additional person to maintain/install the system. Funds are tight at the moment. 

I constantly see Cisco CP-7961G phones on eBay for dirt cheap, very affordable prices. How do I get these nine phones to communicate to the POTs? It seems like a Cisco UC540 would work GREAT if everything advertising actually works. All these old enterprise gear items are dirt cheap. Could I just buy nine of the CP-7961G phones and one UC540, and everything would work? 

What else would a setup like this require? Do the phones themselves need license keys that are hundreds to maintain? Does the Cisco UC540 system need license keys that are thousands to maintain? Do they expire? Should I just use a string and cup phone system/tin can telephone? As I said, we're a small business with a budget we need to meet. 

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If there are external calls, then I'd seriously reconsider getting 78XX or 88XX phones with 3PCC/MPP firmware.  

VERY IMPORTANT:  A lot of people have mistakenly bought 78XX &/or 88XX phones with Enterprise firmware (because they are cheaper).  Make sure to get the ones with 3PCC/MPP firmware already installed or there will be world of pain to convert the phones from Enterprise to 3PCC/MPP.  

Once the phones are ready, look into Broadworks.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@55Kompressor wrote:

I constantly see Cisco CP-7961G phones on eBay for dirt cheap, very affordable prices. How do I get these nine phones to communicate to the POTs? It seems like a Cisco UC540 would work GREAT if everything advertising actually works. All these old enterprise gear items are dirt cheap. Could I just buy nine of the CP-7961G phones and one UC540, and everything would work? 

For a small business, why Cisco phones?  Cisco-branded products are not known for their affordability. 

UC540 is already end-of-support  (31 January 2017). 

Phones can work with either Cisco-branded CUCM or 3rd party Asterisk/3CX. 

To get the phones to work in 3rd party call managers, it will take some effort to get the first phone to work.  Once this obstacle is completed, the next phones will just be a matter of cut-n-paste.  

An Asterisk or 3CX system is very popular with hobbyist, like me, and it can be hosted in a humble Raspberry Pi.

55Kompressor
Level 1
Level 1

I can't really find something that has the same look and feel as a Cisco phone. Big bold buttons, big bright screen, stuff like that. It needs to be used for probably 6 hours straight a day, and have lots of functionality. I don't really care that they are at their EOL, but should I? It seems that there is enough third-party support with the phones that it seems like Cisco support wouldn't be, not TOO helpful, would it...? I mean it has been five years since EOL. 

From what I can find on the used market, it looks like all the phones and Cisco PBX systems seem to be affordable and right up my alley. I do know what you mean that Cisco isn't known for its affordability, but reliability is the tradeoff, right? 

3rd party Asterisk/3CX seems like a PITA given they HAVE to have a stable internet connection. And they provide the telephone line, right? I just need something plug and play that isn't a few grand. I have no problem building a stable PC for the PBX, it just seems like that's a lot of brain damage for something I can just buy for a few hundred bucks. 

@55Kompressor wrote:

3rd party Asterisk/3CX seems like a PITA given they HAVE to have a stable internet connection.

If you want to make and receive calls from "outside" then Asterisk/3CX or Cisco CUCM requires a stable internet connection.  
If the phones are only for "intercom" use, then this fits the requirement that internet to the business is not stable.  

Cisco bought Broadworks several years ago.  The business essence is aimed at people who cannot afford CUCM.  It is a cloud-hosted PBX system and supports Cisco 78XX and 88XX with 3PCC/MPP firmware.  

@55Kompressor wrote:

I don't really care that they are at their EOL, but should I?

I would.  Software updates due to security vulnerability is a big thing for me.  If I can no longer access patches to address security vulnerability then the product should not be connected any more.  

So even if I have two stable POTs, The Cisco UC520 STILL needs a good (WWW) internet connection? 

@55Kompressor wrote:

The local internet is terrible and unreliable.

I read this and assumed the requirement is for a wired VoIP intercom system (internal calls only).  

Yessss I'd need the VOIP bay and parts manager phones to make a FEW outbound calls (using the second POT if needed) and the front desk lady needs to have FULL inbound and outbound control using the existing POTs. And I'd want the front desk lady to use her VOIP phone to intercom to all of our phones. 

The internet isn't that bad, it just cuts out every week for a few minutes.  Not sure why. Comcast people are useless. 

If there are external calls, then I'd seriously reconsider getting 78XX or 88XX phones with 3PCC/MPP firmware.  

VERY IMPORTANT:  A lot of people have mistakenly bought 78XX &/or 88XX phones with Enterprise firmware (because they are cheaper).  Make sure to get the ones with 3PCC/MPP firmware already installed or there will be world of pain to convert the phones from Enterprise to 3PCC/MPP.  

Once the phones are ready, look into Broadworks.