cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Per-device Application Dial Rules for Jabber devices

Lando.Griffin
Level 1
Level 1

When adding a Device for Jabber for, say, an Android device, in CUCM, there is a field under the Product Specific Configuration Layout section called "Application Dial Rules URL". It seems like a person could have device-specific Application Dial Rules, rather than being forced to use the global ones for all devices. I can't find documentation anywhere on how to set this up. Does anyone know?

The best I was able to find is that it looks like maybe you're supposed to get a .cop file from Cisco that has an XML file in it for default Application Dial Rules that you can modify and then....? Can't find the .cop file on Cisco website.... Manuals don't have any information. I'm at a loss. Running CUCM 12.0

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Out of curiosity why do you want to use dial rules! To me this is by far the most crappy function that ever existed in CUCM. With proper dial plan design there should be no need for dial rules.

Response Signature

Our CUCM environment is multi-tenant, so we have multiple organizations, multiple voice gateways, multiple dialing plans, etc.

Our users would like to be able to click on a missed call from the device in question and have it dial successfully without having to modify the number first by adding an 8, or a 9, or some other prefix in order to comply with the dialing plan.

For deskphones, I can modify the gateway Incoming Calling Party Settings to prefix an 8 (for example) so that all call history entries have the 8 already prefixed, while at the same time I can create a Device Pool-Device Mobility Calling Party Transformation to strip off the 8 so that the alerting number on the phone display appears like a normal 10 digit number. So for deskphones, no problem.

But for Jabber devices, I can't do that. I can do all the same setup, but if I do, both the alerting number and the call history number gets a prefixed 8. Jabber devices do not seem to respect the Calling Party Transformation.

Jabber does, however, respect the Application Dial Rules. So if I make it so that the gateway does not prefix an 8, I can use Application Dial Rules to prefix an 8 for 10 digit numbers in the missed call history. But this won't scale to multiple orgs that will use different prefix numbers like 7 or 9 since Application Dial Rules apply to everyone. Hence my question about the setting that appears under Devices.

Thank you for the detailed information. Have you considered to go to a full +E.164 setup? Aka where the number is always displayed in + format, both in calling state and in call history. With that you would not need any of the configuration you have.

Response Signature

I can't implement full +E.164 across all organizations. Most only have 10-20 available DIDs, so I can't assign unique numbers to all the phones, and so I would still need a separate, internal dialing plan for most phones. And nearly half our orgs use a 3 digit internal dialing plan instead of a 4 digit plan. I have no control over these orgs- they're using us for VOIP services.

However, maybe I can do a partial implementation. At one site I set the voice gateway to prefix a +1 before all incoming calls, so now calls come in as 1+(area code)+city code+number. They appear that way on both the alerting number and the history number. Then I dropped in a route pattern for \+.! and now people can select to dial automatically from either their phone history or Jabber history. And if they manually have to dial a number they can still use the normal prefix like 8 (since there's no way to dial a + sign on the phone manually).

Having the + sign in front of the number all the time looks....mildly...better than having a number like an 8 or 7 at the front, so I think I will keep it. And with this setup I can do away with the Application Dial Rules which unfortunately work globally for all orgs.

Thanks, Roger, for being willing to throw out an idea.

@Lando.Griffin You wrote “(since there's no way to dial a + sign on the phone manually).” You can definitely dial a + from most phones. How is slightly different on individual phone models. You should look it up depending what phones you have deployed.

Response Signature