cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone Firmware update -- from pre-sha512 to post-sha512 firmware

pradorobin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help with this issue. 

I'm running CUCM 14.0 and have updated all existing phones to current firmware versions.  However I recently ordered a new batch of 7841 phones that arrived with an old firmware version of 12-0-1-11, which is a pre-sha512 encrypted file.  When attempting to deploy these phones into my environment, they will not register to Call Manager, and will not upgrade to my current firmware version 14-2-1-0201-40, which is a post-sha512 encrypted file.  I'm assuming they won't register because I don't have the firmware version it's looking for on the server any more, and I cannot load the 12.0.1 version on my current servers using the Software Installation/Upgrade GUI because it only support sha512 version files.

Is there a COP file to be able to load an old file onto version 14?  How can I get one of these phones to register, and/or get them to upgrade?  I'd love to upgrade firmware for all of the phones in the shipment, then place them back into storage for future needs.  Any help would be appreciated.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pradorobin
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I added it to CUCM first.  Never got to the point of being rejected in CUCM, but would not complete the boot sequence.  Looking at Phone Information (from the physical phone) showed the old 12-01-1 firmware version, which is why I thought that may have been the issue. However, looking at it again today, it's apparently a problem with the switch I was connecting to.  I connected one 12-0-1 firmware phone to a different model switch and was able to upgrade and boot successfully, even though both ports were config'd the same.  And, once upgraded I can boot on the original switch okay also -- so not really sure what's going on.  Status messages from the Phone's IP show "[11:53:05am,02/29/24] LastTimeLocalResetPhoneToldToDestroy" which I've seen before, and even worked with Cisco on, but have never been able to discover why it occurs.  In either case, I'm good-to-go on the latest firmware now.  Thanks for your response.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

b.winter
VIP
VIP

What do the phone logs and CUCM logs say?
I don't think, it's a problem of sha512 or non-sha512 firmware versions.

Have you added the phones in CUCM with a DN? So, it doesn't get rejected?

pradorobin
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I added it to CUCM first.  Never got to the point of being rejected in CUCM, but would not complete the boot sequence.  Looking at Phone Information (from the physical phone) showed the old 12-01-1 firmware version, which is why I thought that may have been the issue. However, looking at it again today, it's apparently a problem with the switch I was connecting to.  I connected one 12-0-1 firmware phone to a different model switch and was able to upgrade and boot successfully, even though both ports were config'd the same.  And, once upgraded I can boot on the original switch okay also -- so not really sure what's going on.  Status messages from the Phone's IP show "[11:53:05am,02/29/24] LastTimeLocalResetPhoneToldToDestroy" which I've seen before, and even worked with Cisco on, but have never been able to discover why it occurs.  In either case, I'm good-to-go on the latest firmware now.  Thanks for your response.