Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone load info when upgrading from ccm version 4 to version 8

Derek McCormick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently upgrading from ccm version 4 to ccm version 8. The phone load on the version 4 phones is 8.4.1 and the phone load on the ccm8 is 9.0.3.

My question is, do i need to upgrade the phones to an interim phone load before i connect them to the ccm version 8 server or will the phones be ok going from 8.4.1 directly to 9.0.3. I can't find any documents for the upgrade path for phones. The phones I am using are 7911 and 7941.

Any help appreciated,

Derek

1 Reply 1

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Derek,

You should be good to go

I would always try one test phone just to be safe.

Firmware Upgrade Issues for SCCP

Note For all SCCP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to version 9.0(3) or greater, you must first upgrade your firmware to version 8.3(3). Once you have upgraded to version 8.3(3), you can upgrade your IP Phone to version 9.0(3) or later.

Note This section applies to the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7975G, 7971G-GE, 7970G, 7965G, 7962G, 7961G-GE, 7961G, 7945G, 7942G, 7941G-GE, 7941G, 7911G, and 7906G.

The following upgrade issues apply:

If you are currently running firmware earlier than 6.0(2) on a Cisco Unified IP Phone and want to upgrade to 8.x(x), you must first install an intervening 7.0(x) load to prevent upgrade failure. Cisco recommends using the most recent 7.0(3) load as the intervening load to avoid lengthy upgrade times.

If you are currently running firmware 6.0(2) to 7.0(2) on a Cisco Unified IP Phone and want to upgrade to 8.x(x), you can do so directly. However, expect the upgrade to take twice as long as usual.

Device packs are required to enable IP Phones in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager database. For Cisco Unified CallManager 4.2 and earlier, these device packs are required. For Cisco Unified CallManager 4.3 and Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0 and later, you must run the device pack and reboot the Cisco Unified Communications Manager server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/9_0_3/english/release/notes/7900_903.html

Cheers!

Rob