cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone not picking up

nshoe18
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7961 that when you lift the handset it does not pick up the calls but works fine on speaker. Anyone think this might be something other than the hardware failing?

4 Replies 4

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Sounds like the handset switch-hook is KAPUT

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

This is almost certainly a hardware problem with the Hookswitch. After deploying Cisco IP Phones for the last few years we (and many others) have found this to be the most common hardware problem. There is a "Best Practice" for cleaning the Hookswitch contacts (link below) that does work . Usually the phone has to be replaced/RMA'd.

If you don't have smartnet on the phone and you want to buy the parts to fix this let me know and I'll send a link

BestPractices for Cleaning and Troubleshooting Cisco IP Phone Hookswitch

From this interesting Tech note;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00801c0810.shtml

Cheers!

Rob

WOW Rob, (+5 )

Self Cleaning Hookswitch Contacts

The hookswitch contacts design uses a wipe action to self-clean the contacts. Periods of nonuse of the phone allow air impurities such as dust and other contaminants to hinder contact performance, which results in intermittent operation. Press and release the hookswitch rapidly a dozen times or so to clean the contacts.

This is what Ive been doing for years.

I did not know about the document

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Rob can you send the part list please when you have time.  OUr phones are:

7941, 7942, 7961, 7962, 7911, 6921

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: